Military vehicle ban on state lands-was it ever enacted?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Hey all-it's been a while but I have a question that I know the NJPB.com can answer... Did the proposed rule on "military designed vehicles" go through? I ask because I have the opportunity to purchase one of these:

DSC00356_InSnow.JPG

It's a Dodge M37, basically a military version of the Power Wagon of the 1950s. The rub, of course, is the fact that this language appears in the rule change that was proposed back in 2012:

(e) Except in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:2-3.4(d), a person shall not operate or permit the operation on or over lands or in or on waters under the jurisdiction of the State Park Service of a motorized vehicle likely to cause damage or injury to persons, wildlife, or property within the jurisdiction of the State Park Service. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, a motor vehicle having more than two axles and capability of four-wheel drive, an ATV, military-designed or surplus vehicle (whether or not modified for civilian use), or an unlicensed or unregistered motor vehicle.

And:

“Mobile sport fishing vehicle” means a two-axle, four-wheel drive passenger motor vehicle, having tires no larger than 40 inches in overall diameter, designed to be licensed and operated on the public roadways and highways of the State and capable of four-wheel drive operation when off the public roads on the beach. [ATV’s, golf carts and specialty vehicles] ATVs, recreational camping vehicles (RVs), trailers-in-tow, and military-designed or military surplus vehicles (whether or not modified for civilian use) are specifically excluded from this definition.

As much as I'd love to have one, being specifically prohibited from operating it in a state forest, or on Island Beach would be kind of a drag... I can't seem to find whether or not NJDEP actually implemented the rule though-I got the proposed rule link from an old post on a military vehicle enthusiast site. There was never any followup to the post though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect you would be constantly stopped and questioned.