Millville Dumps Their Crap in the Maurice River.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
In MANY places sewage (supposedly treated) is discharged to a river and downstream from the discharge is an intake for a water plant to supply drinking water to the population.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I'd be more concerned with what the rain was washing into the river.
And wasn't there a problem a while back with what was coming over the dam, or was that the Cohansey?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are you referring to the arsenic that was being dumped in the river into the early 80's? Thats why they partially drained Union lake in the late 80's early 90's to clean it up.I never saw them do anything but the lake was partially drained about 8 ft down for several years.The aresenic was dumped into Blackwater Branch from a chemical company and went downstream and settled into the lake bed.Far as i know it's still there.
I"d actually be more concerned with tons of raw sewage being washed into the river if I"m swimming in it but of course in time natural bacteria will take care of that quicker then it will motor oil and gasoline.I"d rather swim in oil and gas though then crap.

Reactions: Menantico

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Arsenic. Yeah, that's what I heard. Wonder what else is in the waterways that we don't hear about or that they haven't realized yet can kill us. Something's making the general population a bit crazier lately.
I know it's a technicality but in the recent case in Millville it wasn't raw sewage, it was partially treated.
Don't know if this will make you fell any better but the word is that folks that work in sewage treatment plants get sick far less than those that don't. The theory is being exposed to what's in the flow builds up the immune system, similar to getting vaccinated. Course, just being exposed vs. swimming in it would be like getting the flu shot vs, kissing someone with the flu.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Arsenic. Yeah, that's what I heard. Wonder what else is in the waterways that we don't hear about or that they haven't realized yet can kill us. Something's making the general population a bit crazier lately.
I know it's a technicality but in the recent case in Millville it wasn't raw sewage, it was partially treated.
Don't know if this will make you fell any better but the word is that folks that work in sewage treatment plants get sick far less than those that don't. The theory is being exposed to what's in the flow builds up the immune system, similar to getting vaccinated. Course, just being exposed vs. swimming in it would be like getting the flu shot vs, kissing someone with the flu.
I hardly ever get sick.I have always wondered if it is because I was always playing in the dirt as a kid?I had Ring,Tape and Pin worms as a kid.The Doc said it was from digging in dirt animals crapped in or going barefoot in it which i was for ever more barefoot as a kid. Ate a lot of PJ sammiches with unwarshed hands in the woods too so I think i must have immunized myself against most beasties. I tell my wife to quit nagging the grand kids to run right in and get washed up every time they get dirty.Their always gettin sick. I think it might be from weak immune systems from never getting into the dirt.They hardly ever leave the house and never the yard.She's afraid to let em out of her sight in this hellhole world we live in today.When I was Nine I would take off on my bike into Bevan or walk from Laurel Lake to Haleyville.Long as i was home by dark no one ever worried about me or had to. Now if the kids want to go camping or take a hike they have a video game for it.No sweating,no ticks and no need for an immune system till they go to school and some other kids jacks them up with something that wipes them out because they never mixed some good old south jersey dirt and dog poop in with their PBJ.

CBC

Mar 7, 2016
Vineland
I hardly ever get sick.I have always wondered if it is because I was always playing in the dirt as a kid?I had Ring,Tape and Pin worms as a kid.The Doc said it was from digging in dirt animals crapped in or going barefoot in it which i was for ever more barefoot as a kid. Ate a lot of PJ sammiches with unwarshed hands in the woods too so I think i must have immunized myself against most beasties. I tell my wife to quit nagging the grand kids to run right in and get washed up every time they get dirty.Their always gettin sick. I think it might be from weak immune systems from never getting into the dirt.They hardly ever leave the house and never the yard.She's afraid to let em out of her sight in this hellhole world we live in today.When I was Nine I would take off on my bike into Bevan or walk from Laurel Lake to Haleyville.Long as i was home by dark no one ever worried about me or had to. Now if the kids want to go camping or take a hike they have a video game for it.No sweating,no ticks and no need for an immune system till they go to school and some other kids jacks them up with something that wipes them out because they never mixed some good old south jersey dirt and dog poop in with their PBJ.
I couldn't agree more

CBC

Mar 7, 2016
Vineland

The Blackwater Branch has had over twenty years of remediation and is now being monitored for two years to see if parts of the Maurice will need any help. I can't see any money coming available for that EVEN if it does need it. There are something like 17 wells running 24/7 monitoring the underground water. They (the state) built a large "cleaning" facility near the river to wash the affected earth and then replace it. The state has spent millions and millions on this. I grew up in the 60's playing in The Maurice, catching herps, canoeing and swimming. I have never left the Maurice and still canoe and kayak it. Last time was today! (caught a 6" snapper, last years hatchling I suspect) In all those years I have NEVER seen dead fish, frogs, turtles, snakes, crayfish, tadpoles, newts, mudpuppies or ANY plant life. Makes one wonder if the river really needed all that "help"

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Blackwater Branch has had over twenty years of remediation and is now being monitored for two years to see if parts of the Maurice will need any help. I can't see any money coming available for that EVEN if it does need it. There are something like 17 wells running 24/7 monitoring the underground water. They (the state) built a large "cleaning" facility near the river to wash the affected earth and then replace it. The state has spent millions and millions on this. I grew up in the 60's playing in The Maurice, catching herps, canoeing and swimming. I have never left the Maurice and still canoe and kayak it. Last time was today! (caught a 6" snapper, last years hatchling I suspect) In all those years I have NEVER seen dead fish, frogs, turtles, snakes, crayfish, tadpoles, newts, mudpuppies or ANY plant life. Makes one wonder if the river really needed all that "help"
I have never seen a Mudpuppy in south jersey at all. Have caught them at Ricketts Glen state park in Pa.The only Slamanders I hae caught in South jeresy are red backs and lead backs (same species) and Northern Reds and have seen Tiger Larvae but not an adult yet.I have seen maybe three redbelly snakes in south jersey but see them in the mountains frequently.
If you grew up in the 60's you must have about ten years on me:) born in the 60's hit the woods in the 70's and never looked back.

Reactions: CBC

CBC

Mar 7, 2016
Vineland
I have never seen a Mudpuppy in south jersey at all. Have caught them at Ricketts Glen state park in Pa.The only Slamanders I hae caught in South jeresy are red backs and lead backs (same species) and Northern Reds and have seen Tiger Larvae but not an adult yet.I have seen maybe three redbelly snakes in south jersey but see them in the mountains frequently.
If you grew up in the 60's you must have about ten years on me:) born in the 60's hit the woods in the 70's and never looked back.

A little more than 10yrs, '48! I also have never seen a mudpuppy in SJ. I don't recall if they're even in this neck of the woods? Never come across any redbelly snakes. Caught many what I called red and black salamanders but also a few marbled. looked for tigers but to no avail :(

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you grew up in the 60's how are you only 48? You were born maybe in 69.I was born in 64 but never learned to ride a bike till 1970.When I got wheels thats when I hit the woods.When I got my four wheels in 81 I greatly expanded my base of operations. My dad would drop me off in the Barrens with a canoe when i was as young as 14 and pick me up where I told Him i would be,thats when i realized I actually lived in the Barrens.I had read about them in McPhees book as an exotic other world.When i actually got there I realized that they looked a lot like certain areas of woods i had been Huffying through since the early 70,s.
I have never caught Marbleds though i have looked for them.I know several breeding pools of Tigers and larvae can be seen easily but I never seem to be able to get out there at the best times to see adults.

CBC

Mar 7, 2016
Vineland
:)
If you grew up in the 60's how are you only 48? You were born maybe in 69.I was born in 64 but never learned to ride a bike till 1970.When I got wheels thats when I hit the woods.When I got my four wheels in 81 I greatly expanded my base of operations. My dad would drop me off in the Barrens with a canoe when i was as young as 14 and pick me up where I told Him i would be,thats when i realized I actually lived in the Barrens.I had read about them in McPhees book as an exotic other world.When i actually got there I realized that they looked a lot like certain areas of woods i had been Huffying through since the early 70,s.
I have never caught Marbleds though i have looked for them.I know several breeding pools of Tigers and larvae can be seen easily but I never seem to be able to get out there at the best times to see adults.

You missed the apostrophe! BORN in '48:)