Millville the Cold Hole

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I have often wondered about this since My first vehicle with a temp reading was bought.I have been living in Laurel lake since then,actaually constantly since 93. I have noticed enroute to and from work (and I work shift work so this is often around midnight) that the intersection of 555 and Buckshutem Rd (670) is often several degrees colder then a mile or so away in either direction.Also an even colder spot usually is at 555 and Battle Lane intersection a mile south of here.Both are hilltops.I would think Buckshutem Swamp in between would be the cold spot since it is low and a cedar swamp and would be a sink but perhaps the water moderates the temp a bit? I have often thought that trees seem to put out a little heat as well since snow often melts first from their bases.Radiating solar heat from the day? In any case by the time I get to my house in laurel lake central the temp has usually risen one degree from the cold spots but I work in Bridgeton and by the time I get there the temp has usually risen five or six degrees. I would rather be in a cold spot then a hot spot. The cold hurts more the older I get but I still hate sweat in my eyes.If I"m not in a crik I want a sane temp like 80 or below.

T

Toothy Critter

I actually think that is an interesting observation. I know when I am surf fishing on the beach there are intermittent pockets of cool and warm air, but that would not explain the same areas being cooler on multiple occasions. I don't think South Jersey terrain is steep enough for a low pocket to collect cold air, and you stated it is on a hill anyway, but you have me wondering now. The ground cover may be responsible for absorption or reflection of solar energy. IDK, but it is interesting.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
There is a noticeable difference in temp while traveling Rt. 30 in Berlin east and west of Franklin ave. If you ride a motorcycle you feel these changes often in different areas. In Berlin it visual too with snowfall that accumulates more westbound on the downhill side. No idea if it's due to elevation change or how sunlight hits (or doesn't) the landscape. All very interesting and I'll be paying special attention on my commute tomorrow with the rain/snow forecasted...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What is remarkable aboutthe cold holes I"m speaking of is they are in the exact same places repeatedly,anytime there is clear weather.Always several degrees colder then areas immediately adjacent.They are shallow hilltops,nothing remarkable and 555 Battle is wooded all around.555/670 is wooded on south side of 670 and fairly open on the north side because of fields and auto spotr track.These temps were like this before they built the track

What is remarkable aboutthe cold holes I"m speaking of is they are in the exact same places repeatedly,anytime there is clear weather.Always several degrees colder then areas immediately adjacent.They are shallow hilltops,nothing remarkable and 555 Battle is wooded all around.555/670 is wooded on south side of 670 and fairly open on the north side because of fields and auto spotr track.These temps were like this before they built the track

variations in water table?

There is a noticeable difference in temp while traveling Rt. 30 in Berlin east and west of Franklin ave. If you ride a motorcycle you feel these changes often in different areas. In Berlin it visual too with snowfall that accumulates more westbound on the downhill side. No idea if it's due to elevation change or how sunlight hits (or doesn't) the landscape. All very interesting and I'll be paying special attention on my commute tomorrow with the rain/snow forecasted...
One of several reasons to travel by bike. Now if only there were no cars............