MillVine NJ

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's wonder they don't just combine into one magalopolis (MilleVille and Vineland). My older brother married an italian girl from Vineland. It did not work out. I've only been to Vineland once in my life, to pick him up when it fell apart. I see route 47 between them is a good shopping center road.

1677119616916.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm not sure what's going on here as I google around Vineland. Seems like the place is too big for the population. Lot of open space and things that are in the past.

1677120236828.png

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Vineland is the largest city in NJ, not population wise, but size wise. It's like most other towns. It has some really nice relaxing sections and other sections that are down right ghettos.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Size wise, yes, I do vaguely recall that. Here's something from Wikipedia I didn't know about Millville.

"Millville Airport was dedicated "America's First Defense Airport" on August 2, 1941, by local, state, and federal officials.[32] In less than a year, construction of military base facilities began, and in January 1943, the Millville Army Air Field opened as a gunnery school for fighter pilots. Gunnery training began with Curtiss P-40 Warhawk aircraft, but after a few weeks was changed over to the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt. During its three-year existence, thousands of soldiers and civilians served here, with about 1,500 pilots receiving advanced fighter training in the Thunderbolt."

Last edited:

Cedar Seeker

Jan 26, 2021
Tabernacle
The main road coarse at New Jersey Motorsports Park which is located on the backside of Millville Airport is named "Thunderbolt" after the P-47s that trained there, and the smaller course is named "Lightning" after the P-38. They incorporated a lot of WWII history into the park when they built it, its a pretty neat place. The airport has an Army Airfield Museum if you're interested in WWII history.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I frequently go shopping in the Millville-Vineland area, there are nice back roads I can take right to Cumberland Mall / Union Lake Crossing. Might be a mile or two closer to the Hamilton Mall area near the AC Expressway, but it's just development hell and traffic the whole way.

Another advantage is that those stores in Vineland are in an Enterprise Zone with half the sales tax, nice for big purchases at Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Just did a quick search though, and the Millville and Vineland zones were created in 1988 but are going to expire at the end of this year! :siren:

Check it out sometime, you could visit Baileytown while you're there. It's too bad that they destroyed half of the Millville Airport for those ugly motorsport tracks (built with lots of taxpayer dollars IIRC). Look at the 2007 vs 2012 aerials

https://boydsmaps.com/sync/#15/39.364391/-75.070737/njgin2007/0/0/njgin2012/15/0/0

IMO, the most interesting thing about the Airport was the wooden battleships the Army built in farm fields for bombing practice during the war.

Cedar Seeker

Jan 26, 2021
Tabernacle
And destroyed a lot of history in the process. Reminds me of an old saying, "the suburbs are where they cut down all the trees, then name the streets after them". :D
Unfortunately that is true, but what artifacts they did save they moved to the museum. I'm a motorsports fan so I guess I don't see the racetracks as "ugly". I usually try to get there at least once a year and always enjoy it.

Reactions: Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
If you happen to be nearby the Millville airport and you like beer then definitely check out Glasstown Brewing. Nice taproom and they make some very good brew, IPAs especially. There also used to be a moonshine distillery across the street, Jersey Shine, but I think they have since closed.

WheatonArts is also well worth checking out, when they are doing glassmaking demonstrations.

Some old photos from 2005.

DSCN3027.jpg

DSCN3028.jpg

DSCN3030.jpg

It's wonder they don't just combine into one magalopolis (MilleVille and Vineland). My older brother married an italian girl from Vineland. It did not work out. I've only been to Vineland once in my life, to pick him up when it fell apart. I see route 47 between them is a good shopping center road.

View attachment 19421
The rivalry between these two communities has waned incredibly, but even the suggestion of a merger 30-40 years ago would have been met with derision from both sides. Growing up in Vineland, we were told from a very young age not to socialize with "Millbillies" and it often led to physical altercations with our neighbors to the south. We used to sing songs at the high school about not wanting to be like the "hicks from Millville high." It was a quaint demonstration of community pride that no longer exists with the younger generations in either town, for better or worse.

The original city of Vineland was a rather densely packed area in the center of town until it merged with Landis Township in the 1950s, making it the largest city by area in NJ. This created a unique situation as far as cities go, with an industrial, commercial, and residential landscape towards the center of town gradually giving way to woods and farms as you move outwards. I've always been fascinated by the hamlets that were gobbled up by the city merger such as South Vineland and Clayville. Millville too has its interesting historic sections such as Newcombtown (home of "Lamb Legs") and Leamings Mill. The population has steadily increased in Vineland allowing for traffic to become almost unbearable during "rush hours" on roads that were not built for the number of people in the city. That being said, Charles K. Landis was laughed at by his surveyor when showed the plans of how wide Landis Avenue was to be built. Conversely, it was just enough room for customers of the shops that lined Landis Avenue during it's economic heyday from the 1920s-50s.

Changes in production forced many of the earlier textile and glass industries to move elsewhere, leaving behind those vacant brick factories in the center of town. Another reason there are so many empty stores and buildings comes from the development of larger "box chains" in that Vineland / Millville corridor you mentioned as well as the section west of Delsea Dr. on Landis heading towards Rt. 55. The city implemented a program in the early 2000s to beautify Landis Avenue storefronts and encourage shopping at local businesses but at the same time they allowed for a huge Walmart to be built at the end of the street, siphoning off foot traffic and interest in Landis Avenue. It did not help that walking down the Avenue was not the safest endeavor either. In addition, many of the families who owned those mom and pop stores retired and / or moved out of town. To be fair, there are businesses and restaurants opening up in the city all the time that cater to the shifting demographic change in the city as well.

The Vineland area has an incredibly rich history going back before Landis arrived with his dream of building a utopia in the land of "pines and vines." Colliers, small farmers, and tar kilns dotted the area in those days (there is a Tar Kiln stream and road that cuts through the center-west portion of town). I try my best as an History teacher at the High School to impart the past to my students about the city (how progressive it was early on and the figures and characters that called this place home) and the area in general, letting them know there are woods and rivers and lakes not far away, as most of them hardly venture out of their neighborhood.

The loss of the seemingly inconsequential rivalry between these two neighbors speaks to the lessening of city pride among the denizens of this corner of Cumberland County and leaves both with a rudderless ennui, which manifests in the aforementioned downtown blight.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The rivalry between these two communities has waned incredibly, but even the suggestion of a merger 30-40 years ago would have been met with derision from both sides. Growing up in Vineland, we were told from a very young age not to socialize with "Millbillies" and it often led to physical altercations with our neighbors to the south. We used to sing songs at the high school about not wanting to be like the "hicks from Millville high." It was a quaint demonstration of community pride that no longer exists with the younger generations in either town, for better or worse.

The original city of Vineland was a rather densely packed area in the center of town until it merged with Landis Township in the 1950s, making it the largest city by area in NJ. This created a unique situation as far as cities go, with an industrial, commercial, and residential landscape towards the center of town gradually giving way to woods and farms as you move outwards. I've always been fascinated by the hamlets that were gobbled up by the city merger such as South Vineland and Clayville. Millville too has its interesting historic sections such as Newcombtown (home of "Lamb Legs") and Leamings Mill. The population has steadily increased in Vineland allowing for traffic to become almost unbearable during "rush hours" on roads that were not built for the number of people in the city. That being said, Charles K. Landis was laughed at by his surveyor when showed the plans of how wide Landis Avenue was to be built. Conversely, it was just enough room for customers of the shops that lined Landis Avenue during it's economic heyday from the 1920s-50s.

Changes in production forced many of the earlier textile and glass industries to move elsewhere, leaving behind those vacant brick factories in the center of town. Another reason there are so many empty stores and buildings comes from the development of larger "box chains" in that Vineland / Millville corridor you mentioned as well as the section west of Delsea Dr. on Landis heading towards Rt. 55. The city implemented a program in the early 2000s to beautify Landis Avenue storefronts and encourage shopping at local businesses but at the same time they allowed for a huge Walmart to be built at the end of the street, siphoning off foot traffic and interest in Landis Avenue. It did not help that walking down the Avenue was not the safest endeavor either. In addition, many of the families who owned those mom and pop stores retired and / or moved out of town. To be fair, there are businesses and restaurants opening up in the city all the time that cater to the shifting demographic change in the city as well.

The Vineland area has an incredibly rich history going back before Landis arrived with his dream of building a utopia in the land of "pines and vines." Colliers, small farmers, and tar kilns dotted the area in those days (there is a Tar Kiln stream and road that cuts through the center-west portion of town). I try my best as an History teacher at the High School to impart the past to my students about the city (how progressive it was early on and the figures and characters that called this place home) and the area in general, letting them know there are woods and rivers and lakes not far away, as most of them hardly venture out of their neighborhood.

The loss of the seemingly inconsequential rivalry between these two neighbors speaks to the lessening of city pride among the denizens of this corner of Cumberland County and leaves both with a rudderless ennui, which manifests in the aforementioned downtown blight.
Thanks Dan, well written and from the heart.