Missing man

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This is a very sad story. The man used to work for us about 27 years ago. He was a free spirited, happy-go-lucky guy.
I read about the disease he has and it is frightening to say the least.

My most vivid memory of him was the night we decided to try out his new Bronco II in the woods off 206. I had my '87 F350 back then.
We agreed at work to meet at the Pic at 7. When I got there with my truck I noticed his truck wasn't there. I went into the bar and had a beer with my buddy and at around 7:30 I asked the barmaid if she had seen a heavy guy and two other guys before I arrived. She said yes and they had just left and were talking about going 4 wheeling.

We jumped in my truck and headed south on 206 with no idea whatsoever where they might have gone and something made me turn down Batsto-Fireline Road. Quaker Bridge Road would have been more logical but I didn't turn there. I drove in off 206 about three miles and then got out of the truck and turned it off. I yelled, "Hey Mike !!, Hey Pat !!!" After a few seconds I heard a faint "Hellllpp !!!!" It sounded like it was ahead of us so we headed out past Lock's Bridge continuing toward Wescoat Bogs. About a mile past Lock's we saw a flicker of fire and then Mike in his underwear standing in two feet of water behind his truck shoving tree branches under the tires. The truck was still running but the front end was under water and buried. My friend and co-worker Pat and his friend Kevin were tending the fire, laughing their asses off and passing around a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I had a 30' strap and I turned around and hooked up to his trailer hitch frame and tugged him out in a few seconds in creeper gear, low range.
We stayed there for another hour or two enjoying the evening sky, the fire, the comedy and the Jack. We headed home around 10 and the next day Pat and I were on work on time, albeit a little fuzzy brained.

Mike didn't show up until 9:30. My old boss had heard me and Pat talking about the drunken shenanigans the night before but said nothing to us. When Mike showed up my boss asked why he was late and he just said "Tough night." My boss was a tough old bird and he didn't let it drop and asked why me and Pat were on time and Mike just said, "This is bullshit !" I remember like it happened this morning.

My boss fired him on the spot and that was it. I felt bad for him but he quickly landed another job and I never heard from him again. Another co-worker still knows Mike's brother and is going to try and contact him.

The news account does not sound encouraging. I hope it works out well.

Last edited: