Mistletoe

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Different species of mistletoe grow on hundreds of different tree species, but in New Jersey they are most commonly found on maple and sweet gum trees. They can still be easily spotted in the state, but it helps to know what to look for and where to look.
“Once you see one and you really stare at it then you can spot them pretty easily,” said Steve Eisenhauser, regional director of protection and stewardship for Natural Lands Trust.
Eisenhauser works at an office in the Harold N. Peek Preserve in Millville, and he found a shrub there high up in a sweet gum tree on the edge of the Maurice River. On Friday, he peered at it through a scope high up on a branch.
“It sticks out like a flag in the winter,” he said.
He said there is a lot of it in many parts of Cumberland County but much of it deep in the swamps. It can also be found relatively easily in parts of Salem, Gloucester and Camden counties, but rarely any farther north.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_d7498fda-4bcc-11e2-8f98-001a4bcf887a.html

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Who wants to go on a Mistletoe hunt in Bear Swamp with me?There will be no kissing on this hunt!

Manu, have you ever found any Mistletoe? I have never been far enough south to be in the northern most extremities of the plants range. I have read it is easy to find along the Great Egg Harbor river corridor by Gloucester and Camden counties.