Monthly Regional Cleanups

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Hey all,

I wanted to suggest something, as last weekend I went out to Quaker Bridge by myself to just get away from the city life (I now live in Philadelphia, Northern Liberties to be exact). There was a bunch of trash scattered about so I cleaned up most of it by the bridge.

There are yearly cleanups, which are great and I appreciate more than anything. But I was wondering if we, as a group, couldn't gather in our respective areas and places we frequent often, to cleanup popular trash areas once per month, or at least once every other month, to keep tabs on the excessive littering/dumping that goes on in the Pine Barrens.

My way of thinking, I like to keep the areas that I frequent most trash free, even if some inconsiderate folk think it's ok to dump trash there. I know we all have our own "special areas" on this board. I figured, if we all went out once per month or once every other month and cleaned up our favorite areas, the Pines would be a lot better off all year round, not only those times directly after the huge clean-ups occurred.

So if you could, keep a few extra paper grocery bags in your vehicles when you go exploring (because we all know, the plastic will just compound the trash issue in landfills) and when you stop, just pick up the immediate trash you see. It may seem insignificant at the time, and even somewhat futile, but with the ever encroaching development, I feel it's never "too little, too late."

If anyone else would be up for organizing monthly or quarterly cleanups in respective areas, I would have no qualms against organizing it.

I guess since I rarely get to see the Pines anymore since I've moved to Philadelphia, when I come back and see trash, it just breaks my heart.

Peace,

Justin

Oct 25, 2006
Hey all,

I wanted to suggest something, as last weekend I went out to Quaker Bridge by myself to just get away from the city life (I now live in Philadelphia, Northern Liberties to be exact). There was a bunch of trash scattered about so I cleaned up most of it by the bridge.

There are yearly cleanups, which are great and I appreciate more than anything. But I was wondering if we, as a group, couldn't gather in our respective areas and places we frequent often, to cleanup popular trash areas once per month, or at least once every other month, to keep tabs on the excessive littering/dumping that goes on in the Pine Barrens.

My way of thinking, I like to keep the areas that I frequent most trash free, even if some inconsiderate folk think it's ok to dump trash there. I know we all have our own "special areas" on this board. I figured, if we all went out once per month or once every other month and cleaned up our favorite areas, the Pines would be a lot better off all year round, not only those times directly after the huge clean-ups occurred.

So if you could, keep a few extra paper grocery bags in your vehicles when you go exploring (because we all know, the plastic will just compound the trash issue in landfills) and when you stop, just pick up the immediate trash you see. It may seem insignificant at the time, and even somewhat futile, but with the ever encroaching development, I feel it's never "too little, too late."

If anyone else would be up for organizing monthly or quarterly cleanups in respective areas, I would have no qualms against organizing it.

I guess since I rarely get to see the Pines anymore since I've moved to Philadelphia, when I come back and see trash, it just breaks my heart.

Peace,

Justin
:D I am available on most saturdays if i am not exploring,if you want to target an area anytime,just let me know.PM me.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I have my favorite areas (Winslow WMA, Batona Trail around Batsto, Martha Furnace) that I try to keep reasonably clean. I think many of us do the same to the areas we frequent. If a group clean up is planned, I would try to make it.

Oct 25, 2006
:D New school came up with some suggestions,let's start throwing more around,one of my pet peeve sites is brooksbrae,second being the apple pie hill area.let's plan something in a couple of weeks.No ticks and chiggers this time of the year.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
I'd be willing to pitch in on Saturdays and Sundays. Northern Liberties eh? You go to the Standard Tap Room? How about Ortleib's Jazz Haus?

Funny you should say that. I live between 4th and 5th and Fairmount, so I'm about 1 block from Ortlieb's and 3 blocks from Standard Tap (I was there last night actually).

I'm glad to see this thread got some response. Let's see where it goes from here.

Justin