More 2009 Photos

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here lies upon man's galvanized fence the offending graffiti on Black’s Bridge.
watermark.php

Have you ever seen the woods on the north side of Presidential Lakes next to Deep Hollow? I always admired them for their clean, uncluttered look. The next two are from this past June. I love how green it is that time of year. You’d think there was a Master Forester in charge like in old England.
watermark.php

Nothing but a low heath understory and very few low branches.
watermark.php

Rose Pogonia from the Oyster Creek watershed. This creek is not studied enough. Unfortunately it runs right to the power station and that is the end of that.
watermark.php

The is the Cook’s Branch, a tributary of Cedar Creek. My God everyone who has a soul, how can we not love it! It is the coolest little stream in NJ. It comes right from the aquifer, and when it enters Bamber Lake, it takes on this cold, sterile quality. I have never seen a fish in this stream, or other water creatures for that matter. I think it my be the PH level. You can’t even catch fish in the lake where it enters. But oh my, is it lovely and clean!
watermark.php

This is floating heart from over by the Garden State Parkway just west of Forked River. This plant is threatened in NJ.
watermark.php

This is another shot of the Bog Asphodel I visited this past June. I estimated 8,000 plants in this location, which is really astounding. I worry that the expansion of the Parkway may interfere with their habitat. This plant is also threatened or endangered.
watermark.php

Speaking of things that interfere with habitat, I am not looking to start an ATV flame post with this next one, but these things need to be documented and told. There are people grinding up lovely bogs over by the Middle Branch of the Forked River. They know not (and probably do not) care at all what they do. This was a lovely little bog with orchids, golden crest, pipewort, etc. Look how they just bowl over young cedars.
watermark.php

They left this lone orchid, forlorn in its lonely habitat now. I plan to see if any of this looks different this year.
watermark.php

My best Buddy. He is always alert in the woods. Every 30 seconds or so he stops and just listens intently for about 5 seconds. Just in case.
watermark.php

Here is another self portrait of me standing in Cedar Creek downstream from Bamber in early May. I count the number of Swamp Pink in this area for the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Swamp Pink is a Federally protected species. Pink always comes out from the last week in April and by Mid May it is drooping and going to seed. It always seems to be rainy, dreary weather for my count. I could not interest anyone on this year’s count because of the weather. But I like to give Guy my coordinates in case I get in trouble. I can count on Guy to pull me out if need be. I took this photo to send in as proof of where I was, and because it was another of those crazy moments where you look around you and laugh at your predicament; alone in a briar swamp in pouring rain. So you just have to document it for the future.
watermark.php

This is a lovely little feeder stream of the Middle Branch of the Forked River. It was foggy that day.
watermark.php

Buddy and Bushy Beard grass…deep in the Eastern Pine Plains.
watermark.php

This is why I love this area for plants, and what makes it so interesting. This little one foot diameter hummock in the far upstream area of Westecunk Creek has: Sphagnum moss, liverwort, Spatulate sundew, pitcher plant, carex collinsii, carex trisperma, cranberry, cedar, pitch pine, young inkberry, and dixie cup moss. And that is just with the naked eye looking at the photo right now.
IMG_4059A_Medium_.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did I refuse to count Swamp Pink this year? Was I working? I don't see me not going with you if you asked me.

In any event, nice photo's.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did I refuse to count Swamp Pink this year? Was I working? I don't see me not going with you if you asked me.

In any event, nice photo's. Guy

I'm not sure, but I was not thinking of you when I wrote that. Remember Mike from the Pine Plains wanted to come too? Probably what happened was that I did not ask you because I did not want to put you through it, and I decided to go at the last minute anyway.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Your Deep Hollow woods look like something in a fairy tale, Bob. Are you sure you didn't see an elf whisking through that luxuriant heath?

I'm curious about the yellowish floating stuff (sorry!) on the Cook's Branch stream. Is this like the froth on the Tulpehocken that Ed described as similar to what you get when shaking up root beer?

Love the flower shots and especially your Buddy's beautiful, intelligent face.

The "one foot diameter hummock" is fascinating. So is your list of its inhabitants . . . "with the naked eye" ?? I'm mentally editing to "with Bob's naked eye" !

Thanks for sharing.

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm curious about the yellowish floating stuff (sorry!) on the Cook's Branch stream. Is this like the froth on the Tulpehocken that Ed described as similar to what you get when shaking up root beer? Glo

Thanks Glo.

In regards to the yellowish floating stuff....that does not exist on the Cook's Branch (or is rarely seen). The yellow you see is actually the pebbley bottom, and the bright white patches are dappled sunlight. Photo's do not do this stream justice at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not sure, but I was not thinking of you when I wrote that. Remember Mike from the Pine Plains wanted to come too? Probably what happened was that I did not ask you because I did not want to put you through it, and I decided to go at the last minute anyway.

I think that may be it. Anyway, if you do it again I would be interested unless you want to go on your own.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think that may be it. Anyway, if you do it again I would be interested unless you want to go on your own. Guy

Guy, come this April to the toughest part of all. I'm going downstream from Lacey Road on the east side of the creek, counting that side. Then I'm going to cross the creek somehow to a very rugged Island where there are some. The Forked River Mountain coalition owns a portion of the Island, so I definitely want to see if Swamp Pink is on our property.

It will be rugged going, 2000 feet of briar and underbrush.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, come this April to the toughest part of all. I'm going downstream from Lacey Road on the east side of the creek, counting that side. Then I'm going to cross the creek somehow to a very rugged Island where there are some. The Forked River Mountain coalition owns a portion of the Island, so I definitely want to see if Swamp Pink is on our property.

It will be rugged going, 2000 feet of briar and underbrush.

I'm in if you want me.

Guy