SJ and SW FL
  • Wow
Reactions: M1 Abrams

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've never eaten there, so now I'm upset that I never did. But what is this building in the back? I never noticed it before.

1692995426607.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Apparently, there won't be any smokes....

“You take pre-packaged oil and mix it together with some other material to make a balm” Dikovics said. “It doesn’t require creation of new plants.”

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Wow! I've eaten there plenty of times over the years. Even more than Atco Dragway, the diner has been part of my life for a long time. I will miss it. Looks as if I'll have to find somewhere else for my chicken gyros and vegetable biryani. Given my age and the increased possibility of dealing with hard-to-manage pain down the line, though, it might not be the worst thing to have a dispensary just a couple of miles down the road from me. (And no, Mr. Manumuskin, don't start up with me on that hippie business again...to date, I've never so much as taken a toke!) :D

(Bob, that other building is a small convenience store.)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Wow! I've eaten there plenty of times over the years. Even more than Atco Dragway, the diner has been part of my life for a long time. I will miss it. Looks as if I'll have to find somewhere else for my chicken gyros and vegetable biryani. Given my age and the increased possibility of dealing with hard-to-manage pain down the line, though, it might not be the worst thing to have a dispensary just a couple of miles down the road from me. (And no, Mr. Manumuskin, don't start up with me on that hippie business again...to date, I've never so much as taken a toke!) :D

(Bob, that other building is a small convenience store.)

Mr M1 I have a song written just for you

• Haha
Reactions: M1 Abrams

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
(To be read in one's best imitation of Cheech Marin): "Oh man, it's like you can't take two breaths no more before The Man Mr. Man. lowers the boom on you, man!!"

Thanks Al. Loved it! :dance:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Boyd

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
The Shamong Diner hasn't gone "up in smoke" yet. Having seen nothing about its closing date, this afternoon I went in and asked. It will remain open until the end of the year.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The photo did not say where or even if it was the Shamong diner. I never have been at the door to know what it looks like. Confusing!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry - I thought it would be pretty clear in context, given that this whole thread is about the diner.
I thought it was another place going up in smoke as the thread title says. I had no idea it was about the diner. I was just asking where the “new” place was.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Oh, I see. Thankfully nothing has actually gone up in smoke - the thread title is just a reference to the property being leased out to a cannabis company following the closure of the diner.

The dining space is supposed to be turned into a manufacturing facility for cannabis balms, and the old Pine Barrens Store on the side is supposed to become the retail space. This is covered in the newspaper article in the first post.

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
Drove by that place hundreds of times. I’m sorry I never stopped there to eat. Oh, well, we still have Lucille’s.

Speaking of Pine Barrens eateries, I noticed that Allen’s Clam Bar was packed when I drove by a few Saturday’s ago. I always liked that restaurant, but I only go there once in a while after it changed hands because the price of the food went up and the quality of the food went down. Has anybody eaten there lately? Have the new owners made some changes and stepped up their game?

Shamongoloid

Mar 29, 2021
Shamong
The Shamong diner was, regrettably, not very good. So everyone lamenting the fact they never stopped in, you did not miss much.

That little pine barrens store behind the diner is like a gas station shop with no gas and some cheap t-shirts with odd slogans like "It's all about the Pines."

Neither the diner nor that store really represented Shamong or the pines very well.

In related news, the Red Lion Diner recently shut their doors for good.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The Shamong diner was, regrettably, not very good. So everyone lamenting the fact they never stopped in, you did not miss much.

That little pine barrens store behind the diner is like a gas station shop with no gas and some cheap t-shirts with odd slogans like "It's all about the Pines."

Neither the diner nor that store really represented Shamong or the pines very well.

In related news, the Red Lion Diner recently shut their doors for good.

I mean, I don't know about that. The little store was pretty cool. They had a whole section of Pine Barrens books and they sold locally grown blueberries, cranberries, honey, etc, and other locally made products (soap, candles, etc). You could get a jug of Boost, I think. Sure, it was just a little bodega, but I think they at least made an effort and were not undeserving of the name.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I liked it a lot better when the Greek, who lived across the street on the lake, owned it. When Manny bought it, he fixed it up and it lost its local character.

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
It's not as if I was a frequent customer, but I did enjoy going there occasionally with family or friends under both managements. It wasn't gourmet fare, but I'm still sorry to see it go.

Now I'll have to find another place that serves biryani. This was my last one from Shamong Diner:

Shamong Diner_vegetable biryani.png