More woods being destroyed in Whiting

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Haven't seen that yet...

The big development (near Eayrestown Rd) on Rt 70 in Medford seems to have finally been approved, according to a recent article in the Central Record. It's been tied up in court for years, I think the most recent issue was sewage disposal. Evidently it's been scaled back however. The original proposal was massive and had a big shopping center across the road. I believe Medford passed an ordinance against multiplex movie theatres a couple years ago to block that...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
Has anybody seen the development going in at Whiting by the 539/70 junction. My God!

My kids go by there on the way to work. They said it always surprises them into thinking they made a wrong turn. They feel confused.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
Has anybody seen the development going in at Whiting by the 539/70 junction. My God!

I will have to check it out the next time I am up that way.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bob, your kids are absolutely right, it is very disorienting. As you head down 70 East all the woods is leveled. It is a real shocker.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
They will keep chipping away and chipping away until they come right to the edges of the Forest and Preservation areas on the Pinelands Commission maps. I always felt that making Whiting a growth area was a big mistake.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Is that going to be a development too? I've been wondering about that. As soon as I see Chatsworth getting developed I'll have to think the Apocalypse is near....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Is that going to be a development too? I've been wondering about that. As soon as I see Chatsworth getting developed I'll have to think the Apocalypse is near....

Chatsworth is being developed one house at a time. Have you noticed the amount of new homes on Savoy Blvd? They are back off the road so it does not seem so bad. It is inevitable that every piece of available land will be gone in 25 or so years.

Guy

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
where is savoy blvd

TeeGate said:
Chatsworth is being developed one house at a time. Have you noticed the amount of new homes on Savoy Blvd? They are back off the road so it does not seem so bad. It is inevitable that every piece of available land will be gone in 25 or so years.

Guy

yes,they are chipping away at it one bit at a time,and sometimes larger bits............i cannot believe that kara homes,khovnanian,and heritage point all got permission to level the vast amount of pines they did...............now i understand that khovnanian has purchased all of horners property northwest of mirage developement,adjoining the wells mills park...........for future homes no doubt...........lordy,isnt anyone in power watching out for the pinelands.............strom

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
TeeGate said:
Have you noticed the amount of new homes on Savoy Blvd?

Yeah, I've been following that for awhile, but like you say it isn't as bad as a big development. But I keep wondering who buys those homes? You're pretty far away from everything there. Problem is, where there are new homes there will soon be new shopping centers and other signs of "progress"...

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
GRRRRR!!!!

The song from dear old Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" has never seemed more fitting to me. Anyone else?

It pisses me off to no end that "Big $$" is trying to gobble up every bit of land that they can get their filthy rotten (insert many curse words here) hands on. Because they are not making ANY MORE LAND people !!!!!

It can't come soon enough, but, I hope the bottom falls out of the housing markets and all the developers go out of business.......but (yes) then I do wake up and realize..........I will spare you my very rarely expressed view on politics.....but some one has to take care of his "buddies" from the "big office"!!!!!

I swear if I ever win the Million $ lottery I would buy up all the open land (if there is ANY left) and then rub it in their face that they can not build on it.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Boyd said:
Haven't seen that yet...

The big development (near Eayrestown Rd) on Rt 70 in Medford seems to have finally been approved, according to a recent article in the Central Record. It's been tied up in court for years, I think the most recent issue was sewage disposal. Evidently it's been scaled back however. The original proposal was massive and had a big shopping center across the road. I believe Medford passed an ordinance against multiplex movie theatres a couple years ago to block that...

Oh no. I cut across Skeet or Branin Rd. to get out to 70 and avoid traffic. Guess that's not going to work any more. Hey, maybe they'll put in a left turn arrow so that we can more easily make it into the Super Wawa!...and widen the road!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
4WheelingBee said:
It pisses me off to no end that "Big $$" is trying to gobble up every bit of land that they can get their filthy rotten (insert many curse words here) hands on.

It pisses me off too :mad:

However, the only way that "Big $$" get their $$ is when ordinary people buy homes. It's supply and demand, if nobody wants a home in Chatsworth then the builders will look for greener pastures elsewhere. Unfortunately now with the insanity in the real estate market, everyone's brother in law has become a real estate investor and too many homes are getting built solely for speculative reasons.

Here are some interesting statistics about the housing market, quoted from Merrill Lynch analyst David Rosenberg in the July 25 issue of BARRON's

• Oversupply may be a looming risk to prices -- housing starts at two million units per year are now outpacing new household formations of 1.6 million. Could the excess supply, David muses, reflect speculative buying?

• National Association of Realtors data show 23% of home sales in the past year were "investor" (read: speculative) based; another 13 were second property.

• A proxy for speculative buying, he reports, namely units sold but not yet started, are up 47%, year over year, a record high. Nearly one in four Americans polled in the University of Michigan Consumer Confidence survey believe that now is a good time to buy a home because it's a good investment and/or prices will continue to appreciate. That represents a 25-year high in bullishness.