Motor vehicle inspection changes

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Once again, our own self-appointed Ralph Nader (Jeff Tittel) feels compelled to utter some nonsensical statistics that are never challenged or backed up.

In regards to the new rules, I think it should be 'two' strikes and you are out. Some people are savvy enough to make a repair on their own. If they fail that, then they can direct them to a private garage.

Reactions: h2ochild

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You can still do a repair on your own, the difference is you now have to pay to have it re-inspected after the repair. Its time to buy that pre-96 classic for a daily driver :D

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
At this point they might as well do away with what is left of the process (and lower registration fees)
No safety inspection and a huge list of exempted vehicles for smog.
Oddly enough they test the newest vehicles, least likely to have a problem and the cleanest burning.

Last edited:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
In regards to the new rules, I think it should be 'two' strikes and you are out. Some people are savvy enough to make a repair on their own. If they fail that, then they can direct them to a private garage.

I would agree if it wasnt a 96 and newer only test
Pretty sure if the check engine light is off you pass, and if it's on repair it before inspection.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
If you have a commercial vehicle you have to take it to a private garage to get inspected and it's only good for one year.
They said commercial vehicles 95 and older will still need to be inspected.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
At this point they might as well do away with what is left of the process (and lower registration fees)
No safety inspection and a huge list of exempted vehicles for smog.

There hasn't been safety inspections since 2010, just emissions. New vehicles are exempt from that testing for 5 years and then every 2 years. They will never lower reg fee's, I'm surprised they didn't go up with this announcement.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I really think there are going to be some ratty-assed vehicles on the road with this change.

By my estimate, half of the motoring public is brain dead and at least half of the other half is oblivious to the sounds and feels of dangerously worn parts like brake pads, ball joints and tie rod ends. I place my wife in that latter group.

See attached photo of her front brake pads that I recently changed out. "My truck is making a funny screeching sound" she said. "Since when ? 2010 ?" I said. She says it's my job to know when her brakes are worn. Yes dear.
IMG_1196 (1).JPG
IMG_1196 (1).JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Pretty sure if the check engine light is off you pass, and if it's on repair it before inspection.

They hook you up to the OBD connection, if there are codes, you flunk. Some CEL codes remain set until they are cleared with a reset or driven for some distance. Cheap insurance is to get a cheap OBD code reader and not count on the CEL.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
They hook you up to the OBD connection, if there are codes, you flunk. Some CEL codes remain set until they are cleared with a reset or driven for some distance. Cheap insurance is to get a cheap OBD code reader and not count on the CEL.

Also, don't clear the codes and immediately go to inspection, OBDII needs several drive cycles to be in"ready" mode or needs to see closed loop a certain number of times before the scanner will give a pass reading.