Mountain Lions in the Pines

Jeep Beep

Feb 27, 2009
I am new to this site, and i have a hell of a story. Lastnight i was driving down Hawkins road in Jackson. I thought a deer was standing in the middle of the road, but when i got closer it was a mountain lion with a main. i slowed down i did not want to wack it my front ends screwed up enough. All the times in the pines a saw Deer and coyotes, but seeing a mountain lion out here gave me a idea on how wild the pines really are.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Doesn't sound like a Mountain Lion, ie Cougar; they don't have manes. Did you report it? If it's from GA, the authorities need to know. These things tend to eat a lot and probably aren't very picky.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Sweet.. How much are tabs of that acid going for? Kidding, but if you saw what you're describing, I dont think it was wild. Jackson does have quite a bit of undeveloped land, but is definately growing as a township.. doubt there are African Lions there.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I am new to this site, and i have a hell of a story. Lastnight i was driving down Hawkins road in Jackson. I thought a deer was standing in the middle of the road, but when i got closer it was a mountain lion with a main. i slowed down i did not want to wack it my front ends screwed up enough. All the times in the pines a saw Deer and coyotes, but seeing a mountain lion out here gave me a idea on how wild the pines really are.

are you sure it wasn't the jersey devil? were there any strange lights in the sky? have you suffered a traumatic head injury recently? .....just kidding, at least it wasn't bigfoot, he can really mess up your head.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Pretty sure there are more than two FL panthers and they're not doing so hot. One breeding pair is not a viable population.

He said it had a mane so the cougar/mountain lion/ puma thought's not even considered.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
what Sue means by "genetic bottleneck" is that a population passes through a restricted "bottleneck" in size - this can be caused by chance events, etc. In this case there would not be enough genetic variability for the population to thrive sustainably.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
i believe this story. i had a similar experiance.

last summer, i saw a large cat of some kind in the medford area near gravelly hallow road. it was orange and had a thick long tail. i was about 100 yards away and i watched it walk across the road. by the time i made it to the spot where it had crossed the road, the cat had entered the woods and i lost sight of it.

so i wouldn't doubt it if he's tellin the truth, espcially with that amusement park in the same area.

(p.s. it's a damn shame you didn't have a camera. i know i wish i had been able to get a photo for proof)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
what Sue means by "genetic bottleneck" is that a population passes through a restricted "bottleneck" in size - this can be caused by chance events, etc. In this case there would not be enough genetic variability for the population to thrive sustainably.

You are right, I didn't write what I meant. (rough weekend, don't ask). I meant that if a genetic bottleneck resulted in the loss of all but a few hundred that the species was doomed.