Mountain Man

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This article reminded me of something that happened this weekend:

http://www.ocobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/NEWS01/602220352/1002

Jeff and Steve, do you remember me taking you to a spot about a mile or so East of Forked River Mountain and there was a primitive type camp with well cleared and nicely setup tent spots, with evidence of people practicing throwing an axe at targets? I found out what it was this weekend. It is the site of a mountain man rendevouz. It is kind of like the people who dress up in colonial minuteman costume and re-enact. Apparantly these people dress up like mountain men and shoot rifles and throw axes and such. I got back there late, so only saw a glimpse of big canvas tents. They were packing up. I'll have to try to make it next year. Seems to be a yearly thing and may be open to the public.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No, I didn't get to, several were leaving in their pickups and I didn't want to bother them. Sounds like a group you would like some more info on Bear. Seems to suit your tastes.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I didn't realize that this was done in 'Jersey. I've seen info in Muzzleloaderforum.com and there is more on period correct clothing, camp gear, throwing 'hawks, etc. almost more than the gun stuff...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I noticed they set up camp again from the 15th through the 19th. It is at the first sand and gravel mine after Bamber heading East. There are signs outside indicating this years "rendevous". It appears to be open to the public, as there are prominent signs, although I don't know for sure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I noticed they set up camp again from the 15th through the 19th. It is at the first sand and gravel mine after Bamber heading East. There are signs outside indicating this years "rendevous". It appears to be open to the public, as there are prominent signs, although I don't know for sure.

I bet not many show up this year. Too cold for most people. But then again maybe not for mountain men! You should stop in!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I didn't think it was that cold today at all. I went to the store and didn't wear a coat. I can't make it out there, I am going up to Rutgers tomorrow....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I didn't think it was that cold today at all. I went to the store and didn't wear a coat. I can't make it out there, I am going up to Rutgers tomorrow....

I was under the assumption they stayed all night.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No German. Totally separate. These guys wear buckskin, shoot muskets, and eat raw buffalo meat.

Tom's students wear sandals, shoot the bull, and eat whatever herbs and grasses Tom tells them to.