mullica river camping

rtgnyg

Sep 6, 2012
I'm looking to do an overnight camping trip on the mullica river this summer. I normally launch from atsion and take out at pleasant mills. e and a group of guys have done this trip multiple times and figure that the state camp site would be a good overnight stay.

My question is, do I get a permit from the batsto station? Do I have to get it online? Online is says only so many people allowed but the sight is plenty big for a 10 guys. also whats the regulations on camp fires. Are they allowed? I know alchohol is not legal but how much is it enforced?
If your not rowdy and you clean up after yourself will they hassle you or leave you be?

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I did this trip last June. We left from Atsion. The water was very low and we were constantly getting hung up on submerged trees....it was frustrating. The second day of paddling to Pleasant Mills was far easier and enjoyable.

Mullica Wilderness Campground didn't seem too "wilderness" to me, as a few people just parked on the nearby sand road and walked in.

We reserved at Atsion, although you may want to place a reservation online, as the campground was crowded when we visited last June.

As for alcohol, I would advise you to keep any possession of the stuff discrete. We usually bring beer and wine with us, but we drink out of unmarked opaque cups so as not to arouse suspicion.

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
I haven't done that trip in a number of years. I would love to hear from some who has. I am most interested in learning how many portages or carryovers there are now, since our recent stormy past.

rtgnyg

Sep 6, 2012
a bunch of us did atsion to pleasant mills about 3 weeks ago. Smooth sailing i think one or two carryovers. Of course I always check the water gauge data first, a few years back we went out when the water was down..... not a good idea

When you say "mullica wilderness campground " is that the halfway point on this run? kinda a hill that is 4.5 miles from the beginning and end and has a water pump and some "natural " outhouses?

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
When you say "mullica wilderness campground " is that the halfway point on this run? kinda a hill that is 4.5 miles from the beginning and end and has a water pump and some "natural " outhouses?

Yup this is it. Last year, someone even set up a zip line to fly across the river! I didn't have the courage to try it.

That is a great spot to stay if you are paddling that strech. The State has now implemented an online reservation system. There is no other way to reserve. I called Atsion and tried to get the spots like years past and was referred to "Reserve America" or something like that.

It has drastically cut down on the number of camping spots available. I do a trip every spring and we usaully would reserve 5 sites. Now due to the new system I had to reserve nearly 10. There is alot more space there than the new system allows. The site is not real user friendly. I know it is a cost saving and logistical measure, given the limited budget of the Parks service. I am sure it free up staff to do more important jobs but it makes reserving campsites a whole lot harder.

T

TabernacleNative

I did the Atsion to Crowleys paddle on April 26th - never had to get out of the kayak once (except to bail out early because of the fire behind the Forks) There were a couple of tough spots to either limbo thru or pull some crazy manuever, but no problems for me or my 14ft. kayak. I had been wanting to do that run for a few weeks, but was afraid to head out there without any kind of trip report so early in the season. I find that if the Mullica@Batsto guage reads 1.5-2ft, there should be enough water to go. Usually I look at the little guage at Atsion, too - if water is touching it I should be good. If its submerged, it might be a bad idea to go!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The Mullica river at Batsto Gauge
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01409400
01409400_gh.jpg

Just did this run last month in a canoe. Only had to carry around once (some of the kids lifted right over the blockage, but my balance isn't that good). Lots and lots of tight squeezes under and around and over trees the first day, to a completely ridiculous degree (kept it interesting!). Much much slower than the Wading though (which is what I'm used to), so no high powered slams into trees or bushes for me, just nice and easy.

The second day is a cakewalk compared to the first, only one or two tricky spots with blowdowns.

Does anyone have any idea what the distances are from Atsion to the camp, then the camp to Sweetwater? The Wharton map (just over 4 miles), the numbers hanging in trees (six miles), and people's tracks online (anywhere from 4 to 8 miles) all disagree pretty badly and I didn't use my GPS this time around to double check.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
friends hiked through Mulica camp Fathers day they said "We hiked up the Mullica River trail, and took a break at Mullica River campsite. There was nobody there. We took a rest and filled up on water from the pump. New twist: they've put fire rings and grills at every campsite. They also cut down trees to make the campsites more tent-friendly - what a travesty for hammock campers."https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74776