Mullica Township? Yes or No

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm thinking of buying a house there. I know a lot of positives. Does anyone know any negatives?

How close is the nearest hospital down there?

Its lowland, more bugs.

Food shopping? Can't be much.

What is the tax rate?

Not trying to be negative, just giving things for you to think about.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I don't know if you have kids, but you might want to look into the schools as well. I have no idea what the schools are like there...just saying. Nice area though. Just buy a big freezer.

Jeff

Mudtrudger

Feb 4, 2009
Coastal Monmouth
The house comes with a good sized freezer, no kids to care for so schools are not an immediate concern, although good schools would be a plus.

Most of what I am concerned about is township politics, pension liabilities and things of that type. Is growth a serious problem? I am concerned about major population growth and the need for major tax increases.

Are there any toxic sites to be concerned about?

I am almost retired and do serious hiking and canoeing and want to move my center of gravity to Atlantic or Burlington County with fairly easy access to the Parkway without being in the coastal sprawl.

I don't want to maintain a lawn to please the neighbors.

I know that there has been vandalism problems at the athletic fields. Have there been other similar problems?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Toxic sites to be concerned about? Well see a golf course good chance was a dump at one time.Walk the area talk to people (small stores, ups driver,Church on Sunday)Also I would go to local dinners, lots of retirement housing in the southern part of Atlantic county.Best bet some deadend street that backs up to state land.(my thinking)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well you really aren't that far from Hammonton in Pleasant Mills. Or Egg Harbor City. Or go a little farther to the Hamilton Mall and lots of other stores. There is no perfect place, but I think that area would be pretty good (based on my limited knowledge).

About 4 years ago I wanted to get away from things too and ended up in Estell Manor (Mays Landing post office). I was lucky, just out driving around one day and noticed a forsale sign on a dirt road that vanished off into the woods. A few months later, I was moving in and have never regretted it for a minute. I was paying $7,000 tax in Medford in 2006 and now pay $3,300. Medford was 3.2 acres, the new place is 10 acres with state forest on two sides.

I looked at other places including Chatsworth and Mullica Township and probably would have been happy there too. But this was just a very unique property at a good price. But it is a bit of an adjustment. These places are not like living in the suburbs - which is good IMO, but some people would be bored out of their minds. The closest grocery store to me is about 12 miles. My commute to Philadelphia is over 50 miles, but I am 60 and don't plan to do that forever. :)

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
How close is the nearest hospital down there?

Its lowland, more bugs.

Food shopping? Can't be much.

What is the tax rate?

Not trying to be negative, just giving things for you to think about.

Hi Mud,

Bob brings up good points....

The present hospital is about 20 minutes away in Galloway, but you are looking at a brand new medical center in Hammonton to open in 2011......according to front page of the paper earlier this week. ++++++++

Bugs.......+-+-+-+-+-+- some good - some bad

Food shopping 10 miles to Hammonton....Shoprite (convenient but sucky produce/always crowded) - Superfresh (good but a bit more expensive/less crowded) - Bagliani's in Hammonton....yummy! -+++-+++-+++

Tax rate? 3.838 according to Atlantic Co. tax page. (Check home prices and ask the realtor what the valuezation rate is) If they haven't been re-assessed lately you could get a big surprise in the near future.

Your questions about a dump? There is no trash pick up....you take it to the dump. Yes Mullica is growing. Yes Mullica has a good school system and is involved with shared services. Politics in the township have their volatile moments. I do not live there, but hear more than I care to about a place I don't reside. There was a huge grass roots movement to keep out a trash transfer station that seems to be successful so far. Did you ever think about the other side of the Mullica river? Not much sprawl, the township (Washington Twp., Burl. Co.) is 92% state forest. Close to parkway, rivers, hiking..... :)

Good luck!
turtle

Google both places, check your newspaper archives, check in at Batsto Church...(nice folks) 9:00 am on Sundays...

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
The present hospital is about 20 minutes away in Galloway, but you are looking at a brand new medical center in Hammonton to open in 2011......according to front page of the paper earlier this week. ++++++++

I saw that too, although from what I gathered it seemed more like an upgraded version of what Atlanticare has there now in the former Kessler building. I don't believe, at this stage of planning that there would be any longer term (overnight) care available. You'd still have to either go to Atlanticare in Galloway, or West Jersey in Berlin.

Bugs.......+-+-+-+-+-+- some good - some bad

Agreed, the main concern would be mosquitos, which the Atlantic co mosquito commission has been keeping a good handle on lately.

Food shopping 10 miles to Hammonton....Shoprite (convenient but sucky produce/always crowded) - Superfresh (good but a bit more expensive/less crowded) - Bagliani's in Hammonton....yummy! -+++-+++-+++

In my opinion, Shop Rite is the better market there :), but I guess it comes down to personal preferences. Hammonton is MUCH nicer than Absecon or EHT... Galloway's is about on par with Hammonton. Super Fresh is more expensive, and just never seems worth it. Other options, for quicker groceries is Farmer Johns market on 542 in Nesco, which is like a Wawa, this would be your closest quick grocery and gas station. Further out there is the Elwood Deli (also in Mullica), and Incollingos in Egg Harbor City which is a private IGA'type based supermarket. I'll also vote for Bagliani's too though, another good choice!

In terms of retail shopping, the Hamilton Mall is closer than those shopping areas closer to Philly. Within 20 mins or so you can be at larger stores like Best Buy, Sears, Macys, Pennys, BJs, Target, Kohls, Home Depot/Lowes etc. They can all be found in the area near the Hamilton Mall.

Your Expressway exit for going west would be 28, while going east could either be 28 or 12. Parkway southbound you could use exits 52, 48, or 44 (theres a quick back-way off 58 too). Northbound Exit 38 (via the ACE), 50, or the AC Rest area (near 42) would be your best bet.

As far as the school systems, they're rural though regarded as very nice. My mom has substitued in Elwood and said the students were no problem at all. High School students currently go to Oakcrest High School in Mays Landing, however a brand new High School is being built near the Egg Harbor City lake (off 563) which will house Mullica and Egg Harbor City students.

Good luck in your search! The area you're looking at is very nice, and is noticably quieter than many surrounding areas even at "rush" hour. Only 542 can get somewhat busy during the "rush" thanks to commuters coming from Ocean County who use it as a cut off to Hammonton and beyond.

Edit: And if you look across the river in Washington Twp its nice over there too, and even more rural, right down to the municipal level (state police only etc). Everybody in "town" pretty much knows everybody else, which mainly consists of Wading River, Lower Bank, and Green Bank. School-system wise they have their own schools, however High School students get bussed to Atlantic County to Oakcrest, and soon the new HS in Egg Harbor City.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
As long as there is land available, development is a possibility everywhere. It's more a question of when instead of if IMO. Just look at a map. The whole Pine Barrens is not very big. We are trapped between Pennsylvania and the Ocean and are being squeezed from all sides.

Hopefully it will take awhile, but I find it hard to be optimistic over the long term. If you really want to avoid the possibility of development I think you need to look in another state which has more room to grow. NJ only has about 7,500 square miles in the whole state. Pennsylvania is about 45,000 square miles for example.

I will take my chances and stay put personally, I'm surrounded by protected land. But the possibility of shopping centers and expansion of existing senior housing within a few miles is very real and sadly inevitable.

BTW - thanks for the compliment Bob... of course I was just making an attempt at humor above...

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Although I live in Sicklerville now, I grew up almost my whole life in Mullica Twp. right off of Indian Cabin Rd. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else but here. Mullica has space, (well, for now anyway) and is a fairly quiet place when not in hunting season. Sounds like you'll be near the rec fields, and that is a pretty nice place. The school was great, and I spent many a hard earned dollar getting sandwiches at the Elwood Deli. Country Cupboard has some good food to, but you're going to have to travel for real groceries. Where I live now, I wish I had my old house. Traffic, congestion, and crazy people all over the place can really make you appreciate a nice quiet place in Mullica. Good luck!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Although I live in Sicklerville now, I grew up almost my whole life in Mullica Twp. right off of Indian Cabin Rd. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else but here. Mullica has space, (well, for now anyway) and is a fairly quiet place when not in hunting season. Sounds like you'll be near the rec fields, and that is a pretty nice place. The school was great, and I spent many a hard earned dollar getting sandwiches at the Elwood Deli. Country Cupboard has some good food to, but you're going to have to travel for real groceries. Where I live now, I wish I had my old house. Traffic, congestion, and crazy people all over the place can really make you appreciate a nice quiet place in Mullica. Good luck!

Whoa!!!
You had to know my uncle what lives on the river directly across from Indian Cabin Road on the beginning of the Bent creek Section.
The place known as MORSEHAVEN from the river. He is known to most as "Bear" (a very large man). To some if you go back far enough in the old days, he was known as "The Sweetwater Friend". He, his Scout, and his shear enormity helped many a folk out of a bad spot albeit stuck in mud, sand, or snow and all for want of no more than a handshake or a six-pack.
Smallish world if you know him. Do you?
His presence on the river gave me many a good youthful memory.
As I got older I was in on some good partying on the river as well as the beach on Nescochague lake because of him.

g.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Largo, although he sounds like a great guy, I don't know him. I grew up right near the corners of Darmstdat and Indian Cabin and although I spent many a day romping around Sweetwater, I didn't really know too many people from there. Perhaps you know Carl Schubert? He grew up right near country cupboard and had a lot of great stories about the area for me. My buddy lives there now right on the river just south of the Forks so in the past few years I got to explore a little more near the river. That little triangle there seems like a nice place near the river, although it looks a little low to the water. I think Joe Mulliners grave is somewhere around there. Sorry if this is starting to hijack.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Ahhh Kevin,
I guess I'm in a pocket of old dogs to the long gone locals. Because of my uncle's "associates", and my young age of tromping back there, I knew the likes of Clyde Birdsall, Hugh Cheatham, Paul Lightman, Old George Ireland, and a cast of other wackos. My uncle's family has been there since the 50's when "Buck" Morse graced the Ramble Inn and Norma "Maude" Morse ruled with the iron fist of an Army WAC. I was drafted into this world at a young age and my baby handprints are in the concrete foundations of MORSEHAVEN from the early '70's. I was only a lad but had the experience of meeting all these old gents and to this day wishing I had pen and paper for every conversation I partook in or overheard. I guess by default I was privy to the real people of Sweetwater and yet just a pup myself. I sometimes forget that a lot of the "locals" really hadn't been there all that long. No offense intended. Seems you were only a hop away from them. I used to walk to the Country Cupboard as a kid and attended a merry function or two at the FireHall. We might have even crossed paths.
As for folks in proximity to the Forks on the river proper... there's a good man right here on the site right close there. On a good night PineLandPaddling, you might even cross his path or be lucky enough to hear him cranking out a song or two along the banks. He does like to play in the river.

g.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler