Mullien

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
I just recently rememberd the name of this plant that grows all over the pines, am i correct in thinking this plant when smoked is an expectorant and is amazingly enough good for you to smoke it or smolder it like insence in a room and breathe it in?

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
you hit it on the head. it has fat, fuzzy leaves and grows on the ground . . . when it seeds it makes huge stalks . . . it usually grows in disturbed areas and i'm pretty sure its invasive. its an expectorant and soothes mucous membranes. it'll temporarily soothe respiratory stress, but its still smoke . . . i'm sure it'll eventually lead to cancer like anything else.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
mullien grows on the ground in its first year and sends up a tall flower spike in its second. The flowers are yellow. The plant has some amazing medicinal values but it would be a bad idea to smoke it or use it as incense.That would be like using nasal spray every day. eventually it would cause problems.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Tom Brown also says he knew a man who got a rash using it that way.Mullien is also easily confused with fox glove which contains a powerful heart stimulant. just be careful. I have used mullien smoke as a nasal decongestant by inhaling the smoke through the nose. It works very well but the effect is short lived. As you use it more it seems to stop working as well. If you are going to be using wild plants for food or medicine you need to be certain. There are plants in the pine barrens that can kill you.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
if you use mullien more than you should, you become allergic to it. it's the plant's way of saying back off.. once you develop the allergy, it doesn't go away.. so use sparingly!
yvonne we learned that from mike last night ^_^