Murder or Suicide?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Smokejumper found a very interesting article to discuss. He only has an image snip of the article, so I will retype it here giving full credit to the source. I think this is okay, since we are not copying, per se, Boyd. If you think otherwise, I'll delete the post.

Source: Courier-Post, Camden New Jersey, Thursday, June 19, 1890.

Murder or Suicide

The decomposed body of a dead man found

"Scores of people in the vicinity of Atco, Jackson and Sloantown are visiting the scene of a horrible “find” on the New Jersey Southern Railroad at Jackson.

For some days past people walking along the New Jersey Southern Railroad have observed a terrible stench which emanated from the woods nearby. No investigation was made, the impression prevailing that the stench came from some dead animal.

Near by the spot is the house of John Regn, a well-known Jackson farmer and several other houses. The odor became so unbearable that last night Mr. Regn being annoyed by it in his house, went out in search of the object, with the intention of burying it. Within thirty yards of the railroad, he saw something lying beneath a tree and upon reaching it he was horrified to find the terribly decomposed body of a man supposed to be a negro.

Mr. Regn went immediately to the residences of Justices Giddings and Adam R. Sloan, and led them to the spot – only a short distance away – where the body lay. An investigation showed that the throat was cut ear to ear. Near by lay a razor with which the deed had evidently been committed. The features were unrecognizable, and were as black as coal. Upon raising the leg of his trousers it was found, however, that the man was white.

Justice Sloan immediately notified Coroner Jewett, and the body was left lying in the woods, no one caring to remove it.

Who the man is or where he came from is a mystery. He was dressed in coarse, but good sound clothing. Whether the case is one of murder or suicide is not known.

Though every evidence points to suicide, there are circumstances that may point to murder.

About ten days ago an Italian appeared at the residence of Justice Giddings, not far from the scene of the finding of the body, and told him that one of his countrymen had threatened to kill him and he was afraid he would carry out the threat. The man seemed to be in mortal dread, but being unable to fully understand him, Justice Giddings assured the Italian of protection and relieved his feelings. It is thought that this is the man. The thing will be thoroughly ventilated."

Reactions: 66C10 and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So many things odd about this situation, letting alone that they simply left him out there, though that may be just the way it's worded. Also, interesting to see that in those days, Italians were a group set apart, though we did receive a hint of that in our high school history courses.

By the way, John Regn is smokejumpers great-great grandfather of the same name.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
He only has an image snip of the article, so I will retype it here giving full credit to the source. I think this is okay, since we are not copying, per se, Boyd. If you think otherwise, I'll delete the post.

Fine with me, but it's completely up to Ben. I'll point it out to him. My understanding is that a newspaper article over 100 years old is not subject to copyright - if you have the physical newspaper or a photocopy of it. But if it came from a website, then it's likely subject to copyright (as per their terms of use).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Fine with me, but it's completely up to Ben. I'll point it out to him. My understanding is that a newspaper article over 100 years old is not subject to copyright - if you have the physical newspaper or a photocopy of it. But if it came from a website, then it's likely subject to copyright (as per their terms of use).
That's insane. How would an attorney know we "don't" have a physical copy on hand. I wonder if I added one line of gibberish in what I copied would destroy their case. Just sayin', I understand we have to do what we have to do.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's all pretty crazy. Even if something is clearly in the public domain a copyright troll could challenge it anyway and a lawyer might be needed to get rid of them. In the end, it's just a judgement call for Ben.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
All that aside, wouldn't it be interesting if somebody made a little movie out of this, using period-dressed actors?
My brother said the same thing. He said it was written like a murder mystery lol. I am still surprised it was deemed a suicide. Or was it ruled that just because it was easier. Less paperwork lol.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My brother said the same thing. He said it was written like a murder mystery lol. I am still surprised it was deemed a suicide. Or was it ruled that just because it was easier. Less paperwork lol.
Oh yeah, a suicide would be my last guess. "I'll just paint myself black and then.........."

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I looked at Find A Grave and there appear to be only two Sloans buried in the Atco Cemetery. You would think there would be more given that Sloantown is described as being between Atco and Jackson. Between Atco and Jackson is a very small area that anyone today would just call Atco.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I looked at Find A Grave and there appear to be only two Sloans buried in the Atco Cemetery. You would think there would be more given that Sloantown is described as being between Atco and Jackson. Between Atco and Jackson is a very small area that anyone today would just call Atco.
It is a small distance. From the house I grew up in its .3 miles to Jackson and .6 to Atco. So from center of each it’s only a mile. The greenhouses would be about the mid point.

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350