My favorite logs...

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
...in my favorite bogs. Summer session, ver. 2.0. A couple of notes, besides Permethrin on my clothes, I sprayed myself liberally with Lemon/Eucalpytus and Skinsations. I got about 75 feet and heard the deer flies laughing as they swarmed me, taking big bites. I scampered back to my car and broke out the 40% DEET, which kept them off. I am going to try Picaridin tonight at FPP.
Also, something big and black and fast ran in front of my car (100 ft) at 5:15 AM on the paved section of Carranza Road past the last house as I was headed SE. It looked black, not shadowed (sun wasn't up), and I'm pretty sure it was not a deer, and looked too big to be a dog. If I had seen it near the bogs where I took the shot, I would not have gotten out of the car. Maybe I should install a dashcam like Teegate.
summer_log.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Beautiful shot! Perhaps you saw one of the very rare black bears that seem to have found a home in the Pines....
Thanks PBA. I am not using the "B" word, but I did back the car up, and heard some rustling in the brush, but saw nothing. It was still pretty dark. Maybe it was a feral, black, Newfoundland.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
But the shoulders aren't ;) If it had long legs it wasn't a bear. Definitely hard to id something in the dark; I had a Moose cross in front of me on RT4 in Rutland VT and had no idea what it was, other than being BIG, until it became backlit.

In case it happens again;

http://www.bear-tracker.com/blackbeartracksandsigns.html
My fleeting impression was "bigger than a dog and black". Did not see long legs. It happened fast, so I wouldn't rule anything out. I was trying to catch the sunrise and I was late, id'ing the animal, expecially since I heard it a few feet away in the brush, seemed Steve Irwinish. But I will take your bushcraft advice under advisement!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good one! I like how the eye is drawn towards the sun and then back to the clump of trees. Hard to explain...but it's like the sun making the statement that it gives us life, but there is also a universe out there at the same time--but our world is good too.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good one! I like how the eye is drawn towards the sun and then back to the clump of trees. Hard to explain...but it's like the sun making the statement that it gives us life, but there is also a universe out there at the same time--but our world is good too.

Heavy!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks Bob. It's funny but getting up at 4 AM and going into the woods grounds me in a way that nothing else does. Sort of like doing yoga, but in LaCrosse hip boots.