My first trip to the Pines 06/03/06

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
We arrived a bit after noon, and it was sprinkling. The humidity was high, and the black flies were out in force, but that didn't stop us from making our way down the first trail that looked good to us. A few minutes later, we found our first herp
caa1_edit.jpg

Eastern Worm Snake (Carphophis a. amoenus)
caa_e.jpg

same specimen

That is a lifer for me. After letting the worm snake on its way, we followed the trail..which turned out to be no more than a simple loop through the woods. So, back in the car and onto the next trail. This one was a bit longer, and the habitat looked prime but we saw no sign of herp life. The area looked frequently used by some type of vehicle, as tire tracks were everywhere in the sand. Unfortunately, our next herp find was a crushed Eastern Box Turtle, obviously run over by a careless driver. It was a young turtle, clad in a bright yellow and orange carapace. What a treasure lost.

Coming to the end of the trail, we saw a large lake where people apparently canoe. This day, there was nobody present except us. As we turned around to leave, we were caught in a torrential downpour. I quickly put our cameras in my backpack and we headed back to the car soaking wet. A change of clothes revealed about 5 ticks clinging to my flesh! This is something that slipped our minds. We headed to the nearest Supermarket and picked up some DEET. It actually worked for us the rest of the time.

After the rain stopped, the temp dropped, and we decided to cut our trip short. But before that, we found Carranza road and checked out some of the habitat.
DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

Some soaked Hay Stacks

So, there it is. One live herp in 6 hours. The weather wasn't on our side this day, but we are going back in two weeks. Oh, and before we left...
DSC00397.jpg

We found Leatherface's apron.

One thing is for sure. Next time we're not eating at the rest stop's Roy Rogers!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice report. A pleasure to read. Sorry you didn't have more luck but a worm snake is a fairly rare find. Not a whole lotta sun today for herping huh?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow...you came from CT! Yea...try to eat off the turnpike if you can.

Make it a weekend the next time.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I've found 6 worm snakes in the past 3 years in the Pines- 2 this year under boards. They like cover adjacent to marshes and swamps with a high ammount of understory growth.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
If you're looking for Timber Rattlers and Milk snakes... i know there are some nice populations in New York, PA, and CT. I've never found a milk or rattler in NJ (where i live), but in one trip to PA i scored both.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Worm snakes used to be the only thing I found early in the season usually with ringnecks. Sorry it was the only snake you found. Many of my trips have concluded that way, the first snake was the only snake....

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
How do you find them?

I suspect the rain brought them up from the ground. I'm not telling anyone to disturb habitat, but they can probably be found under rotting logs and flat stones.

We found some really nice habitat, so i'm feeling good about our next trip in 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather will be good.

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I had no luck finding good artificial cover. There were some haystacks, a tire, and a couple of boards on the side of the road near a farm. Nothing outstanding though. If anyone has tips on some good AC in Wharton/carranza rd, please drop me an e-mail.