My new tool toy....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Put it together today, easy peasy. It is actually an electric/hydraulic combo, 5k lb capacity. Stout enough to lift my Jeep. This is the GTI up in the air during the first test.

P1010832RS.JPG

Reactions: RednekF350

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes, one on each side. The green things are covers for the locking quick connect's on each hydraulic hose. Disconnect them and nothing is in the way underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I have a similar one, maybe a little larger, made by snap-on. I bought it about 10 years ago. I work on cars for a living, so wrenching on stuff in my garage is not really a hobby at all, more of something that happens in an emergency. The snap-on one allows me to lift the car 48", which is ideal for brake jobs and things like that. It looks like this one may not go as high, but a rolling stool would be very useful to have and would bring components into easy reach without bending over. Other than limited lift height, the major drawback you should be aware of, is that you really cannot access anything under the center of the car. I have replaced FWD clutches and transmissions on mine but removing the driveshaft and transmission on my Ranger was impossible because of the shape of the lift's "table" or square frame. Exhaust stuff too is inaccessable.

If you are looking for something to replace the jack and jackstands, this is very useful. If I'm just taking one tire off I don't bother with it, but for doing brakes or a timing belt or something like that, it's really nice to have. Oil changes too are easy with it, although I hate doing them at home and accumulating all those bottles of waste oil. Have fun! It should last a long time and if needed I'm sure a gland seal rebuild kit can be obtained if it ever begins to leak. Also every lift manufacturer specifies some kind of special hydraulic fluid requirement but regular old ATF or R&O fluid will work just fine.

1589411110329.png

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Put it together today, easy peasy. It is actually an electric/hydraulic combo, 5k lb capacity. Stout enough to lift my Jeep. This is the GTI up in the air during the first test.
Dang. Just missed by 1,000 lbs. My '02 F-350 Crew diesel is 8,000 lbs empty. Looks like their heaviest model is a 7K. But the price really climbs accordingly. That's a beautiful piece of equipment though 46'er.

I'll resign myself to my 7K floor jack. It lets me completely lift the front end or back end of the truck off the ground with 6"-8" of tire clearance. I grab the rear diff or solid front axle tube and in about 10 pumps, I am up. I then just block each side.

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It looks like this one may not go as high, but a rolling stool would be very useful to have and would bring components into easy reach without bending over. Other than limited lift height, the major drawback you should be aware of, is that you really cannot access anything under the center of the car.

I have all the little helpful things, some not so much. I've been restoring LBC's for over 30 years. The height of this one is perfect for what I need to do, and the Jeep will even fit without hitting the garage door. :) The height is somewhat adjustable with the lift blocks that are supplied with it. The GTI uses the ones for pinch welds. The entire center of the car is wide open front to back and if you need to do something along the sides between the wheels you just change the location to side to side vs front to back for the 2 lift ramps, but there is not much except the rocker panels in that area. I would have bought one sooner but it would not work on the Jag I had. It should also come in handy working on the lawn mower and snow blower. Time will tell. I'll be putting the MG on it soon to install the new exhaust.

I have all the little helpful things, some not so much. I've been restoring LBC's for over 30 years. The height of this one is perfect for what I need to do, and the Jeep will even fit without hitting the garage door. :) The height is somewhat adjustable with the lift blocks that are supplied with it. The GTI uses the ones for pinch welds. The entire center of the car is wide open front to back and if you need to do something along the sides between the wheels you just change the location to side to side vs front to back for the 2 lift ramps, but there is not much except the rocker panels in that area. I would have bought one sooner but it would not work on the Jag I had. It should also come in handy working on the lawn mower and snow blower. Time will tell. I'll be putting the MG on it soon to install the new exhaust.

Please post pics when you do the MG. I still miss mine. (sigh)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Please post pics when you do the MG. I still miss mine.

I've been working on it most of the day on the exhaust using an unconventional way, similar to how I pulled the engine and trans from the Jag. One part just won't fit, a gasket, called a 'donut' :rolleyes:, between the down pipe and exhaust manifold. Autozone claims to have an alternate part, will find out tomorrow.

The 'donut'

1589595402079.png