Mystery Canal and Historic Ground Water Levels

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway

I've been trying to figure out the purpose of this ditch for a number of years now. I paid a visit to the location this past weekend and came to some conclusions:

The ditch predates the road going through it.
The ditch drained the giant Atsion Creek oxbow into the Batsto Creek.
The ditch was dug for purposes of logging the trees in the oxbow.

The problem is, there isn't nearly enough water today to even get into the ditch. The water level in the oxbow would have to have been at least 2 feet higher than today's average levels in order for the ditch to have been of any use.

I know @Spung-Man is keen to observe that the water table has lowered significantly since historic times. Could the water level in the oxbow have been 2 feet higher or more when the ditch was dug? If so, I imagine they were harvesting maples and not cedars, since the latter don't do well with that much water.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They seem to be good conclusions. Do you think once they drained it they did not block the ditch again?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob, I'm glad you challenged me on that. I shouldn't be so sure about this one. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the road was probably there. The Van Sant shipyard dates back to pre-Revolution and may have been reached by way of that road.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I wonder if that oxbow to the west is subject to flooding during exceptionally high tides. Might explain why a ditch was necessary.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I wonder if that oxbow to the west is subject to flooding during exceptionally high tides. Might explain why a ditch was necessary.
That's a great thought. Maybe that was true in the past? It is not true now.

Edit: Tides are higher now than in the past, but perhaps flooding coupled with a higher water table made the ditch necessary?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Oddly, I was not really challenging you per se, it's just that I could not see it either way; sort of a chicken or the egg thing. So I was hoping you had a good answer to settle my mind.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What I find puzzling is this little extra bit of a scar into the watershed proper. It's like crazy larry stole his dad's dozer and was playing around to see if he could connect the two together. Maybe if you go to the X, you'll see it half sunk in the swamp.

I have a theory about the staightness. Once you commit yourself in one direction and you are in the ditch, it's impossible to turn in any direction.

"Once you start to plow a row, plow it straight and hard to the end of the line". Carl Vinson (Representative from Georgia, Father of the 2-ocean Navy).

1679403666995.png

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
What I find puzzling is this little extra bit of a scar into the watershed proper. It's like crazy larry stole his dad's dozer and was playing around to see if he could connect the two together. Maybe if you go to the X, you'll see it half sunk in the swamp.

I have a theory about the staightness. Once you commit yourself in one direction and you are in the ditch, it's impossible to turn in any direction.

"Once you start to plow a row, plow it straight and hard to the end of the line". Carl Vinson (Representative from Georgia, Father of the 2-ocean Navy).

View attachment 19612
Also it almost looks like it continues across to the other side of the river as well

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway

I think they didn't want to flood the swamps along the Batsto, perhaps for logging purposes.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gabe,

Did you walk all around the outer edges of the oxbow? Basically, did you visit the southern edge?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited the location today of the oxbow. We have to go back and explore more as we did not enter the oxbow.

Took this from the road.

IMG_7985a.jpg

We walked from 542 at Batsto all the way to the Mullica on the oxbow road.

IMG_7988a.jpg