Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
About 15 years ago I read a review of a book by Robert Holdstock called The Hollowing. The fourth in a series of what I think is now five books on a fiction woods in Britain. It intrigued me, and I bought the first book entitled Mythago Wood. I felt compelled to make mention of it here since it deals with a man recently having returned from France after the Second World War, to find that his father had been venturing into the wood for quite some time for days on end, only to return home ragged and half mad each time, only to return to the wood again and again.

The wood is said to be haunted, and those who try to enter it only become disoriented and wind up back where the started from after a short while. The wood is small and can be walked around in only an hour or two, yet is impossible to enter. The main character does manage to enter the wood, and becomes as obsessed with it as much as his father. Kida sounds like the obsession we have with the pines and woodlands here.

The book details the mysterious nature of the wood and the what happens to those who are able to penetrate it's depths. I was unable to put it down, and thought that some of you might find it a good read. I will not go into detail, as not to spoil the fun. I've read one or two of his books not in the series and found them to be as good as well. If you read it for the first time as a result of this post, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
had been venturing into the wood for quite some time for days on end, only to return home ragged and half mad each time, only to return to the wood again and again.

Sounds like Bob during plant season.

Guy