N.J. Frog Voices Featured on CD

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I received this news article today.You may find it interesting.

N.J. Frog Voices Featured on CD
Sun Jun 9, 6:33 PM ET

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Some unlikely tunes are leaping up the charts in New Jersey.
A new CD featuring frogs croaking is selling so fast that state wildlife officials are having trouble keeping it in stock.

"It's pretty amazing," Linda Tesauro, executive director of the Conserve Wildlife Foundation, told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "We never expected these to be as popular as they are."

Performers include the indigenous Pine Barrens Treefrog, the chirping Northern Spring Peeper, and the Carpenter Frog.

Frog fans also are buying the accompanying "Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of New Jersey."

Initial runs of 1,000 copies for each item sold out in 10 weeks — a record for the state Division of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Non-game Species Program. A second run of 2,000 is expected within days.

The frog sounds were recorded in the woods and streams of the Garden State. The CD is meant to teach listeners to identify the calls and chirps of the tiny amphibians.

The CD and book sell for $10 each or $18 for the set.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/products.htm

Guy

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
That's great that there is so much interest in the Frog Voices CD, etc. I heard the CD announcement on NJ 101.5 recently when I was on the road listening to Jim Gearheart.

Maybe to reach older folks the oldies song by Clarence "Frogman" Thomas could be played in the announcement. You know, the song where the vocalist sings in a frog voice "I'm a lonely frog. I don't have a home..."

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
It's good that, as evidenced by all the field guides people bought, that the public is behind efforts to protect the Pine Barrens Treefrog. The same cannot be said for the Timber Rattlesnake. Popular sovereignty isn't working for the snake, so maybe an animal rights group can represent it, claiming that the snake's constitutional rights were violated. Doesn't the constitution protect snakes under equal protection of the law?

Maybe a sort of affirmative action, quota system can be applied. A certain amount of monies should be used to protect the Timber Rattler. Otherwise, who would want to protect this critter? Only certain nature buffs. Is the lack of public support for the snake a case of people not being enlightened? Some folks have been apologists for the Timber Rattler. I've listened to good cases made for the snake, but still I'm not convinced that we should do all we can to prevent the rattler from becoming extinct in the Pine Barrens.

I recently saw a report about wolves being brought back into, I think it was Iowa. The population grew much faster than expected, and the wolves have been creating problems for the ranchers. Some environmentalists like the idea. One callous creep actually had the audacity to revel in believing that the ranchers will be driven from the land. He looks foward to "your (ranchers) children will be gone" from this area. There is polarization out there and the ranchers, many who have earned their living there for generations, are protesting against the environmentalists and are fed up with someone from the outside determining their destiny.

It doesn't have to be like that. I believe that there are representatives from different interests who have good ideas to discuss together. Understanding and compromise helps build a consensus. This is the American way. There is a problem when people don't attempt to understand someone else's view on an issue. People on this board have various interests, such as four-wheeling, ATV's, hiking, flora and fauna appreciation, abandoned railroad tracks, graveyards, camping, backpacking, etc. Although we don't always agree, we certainly can learn from each other and gain knowledge. Then we can reevalueate, change, or maintain an opinion.