Nash's Cabin and Calico- new information

B

BarryC

Well guess what? Keith, my former co-worker, and I went up there today. First we went to Nash's. He wanted to see the enormous Pitch Pine that we saw last time. When we came back to the truck after walking to the Pine, there were an older couple there, sitting down. They had hiked in all the way from Harrisville Pond! Anyway they were in there mid 60s, I would say, and were well familiar with the area. They had been coming up there since the 60s or so. They know someone with pictures of Nash's cabin when it was still standing- pictures inside of it, and of the outside. They said it was a small hunting club. The people with the pictures used to be members of it, way back when.
I know it's an awful small building, but that's what they said- a hunting club. The people didn't give us the origin of the name, Nash's, but now we know what it was. And they did tell is that it is indeed called Nash's Cabin.

After I ate my sandwich, we went down back to Marth, and headed over to Calico. When we got to the 2 puddles, the water level was down quite a bit. I decided to chance driving through. So I locked in my hubs, put her in four wheel drive, and slowly drove through, with no problem. The first puddle was deeper than the second. We drove to that Calico house site and looked around and left the area.
So for all you guys with 4 wheel drive, that road is now passable and you can go to that Calico house site. After you go through the 2 puddles, it's not too much further. There's a dirt road on the right. It goes in just 50 feet or something. It's real short. There are Short-leaf Pines there along with the Pitch Pines, and there are Catalpas around the cellar hole. And the pond or whatever the body of water is, is beautiful. I think I have a picture of this posted in one of my galleries in my site.
(After that we attempted to go to Jemima Mount, but I couldn't find it easily, even though I was just there recently. And Keith had to get home, so we gave up and turned around.)
Barry

B

BarryC

Yes. It would have been nice for everyone. I'm not sure if your Escape could make it or not. I would say it would be worth a try. The water felt deep in the first puddle, but my truck didn't have trouble. My tires are 31X10.50R15, which isn't huge, but just right for me. It seems like a lot of SUVs are sitting on tires that big nowadays though. I'd try it carefully, if you get over there again.
BEHR655 said:
Great report Barry. I wish I had been with you. My Escape only has an 8" clearance. Do you think it would make it through the puddles?

Steve