Naturalist Describes South Jersey Ghost Towns

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Our very own member "German" in this article!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice article. But there's considerably more than "just concrete foundations left" at Belco. ;)

b006.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I can't find anything on the Pine Barrens ghost town, Mount. We camped there for a few days about 1973. There was nothing left of the town except the old dirt road intersection and some of the planted vegetation and the name on my geological survey map. It was beautiful weather and we were lolling around on the grass, and it wasn't until the second or third day that we noticed that our bodies were covered with ticks!

Reactions: MuckSavage

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I'm not sure it would show up as a "bump". It was a small shack, maybe 4' square & 4' high. My Dad used to call it "the outhouse for midgets"

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Pan, was the little monitoring well (?) shack there back then? (on the NW corner of the intersection)

I don't think there was anything at all, except what I mentioned, still there, but I could be wrong, it was almost fifty years ago. I think we were there for three days and didn't see a soul. There were no off roaders or dirt bikers in the Pines back then. It was very pleasant and peaceful - except for the ticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The gaging station has been there forever. It was there in 1973 when I first visited. I have a photo of it from then. This photo is from 2002. At the very bottom you can see the well from what might have been the tavern site.

Mounta.jpg

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Is that Mount? Aren't there some planted trees there, one of the only things showing that a town once existed, that and the dirt roads, and maybe that little "gaging station" - what's that? I'm remembering from 50 years ago. I don't recall going back there again, tho i must have passed through it.

Say hello to the ticks for me!

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek