Nature Conservancy Announcement

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
This announcement can be found in their latest magazine, Vol. 56, No. 2; page 58, and I quote: " Lummis Ponds Preserve in southern New Jersey encompasses more than 1,000 acres of coastal hardwood bottomlands known as the Cumberland Forest. Swamp pink, an endangered plant, thrives in the wetlands here, but forest fragmentation and reduced water quality stemming from development threaten its survival. Now a 65-acre addition to the preserve, funded by a Natural Resource Damage Recovery settlement and the William Penn Foundation, is enhancing the protection of this rare plant." I'm not sure what the "settlement" thing is or the William Penn Foundation--maybe someone on this site knows more about them. I lived in Gloucester County and never heard of the Cumberland Forest. It all sounds like good news, though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Furball1 said:
I'm not sure what the "settlement" thing is or the William Penn Foundation--maybe someone on this site knows more about them.

The William Penn Foundation is a charitable organization based in Philadelphia which supports all kinds of things. In the past my organization (Opera Company of Philadelphia) has received major funding from them. They were started by the Haas family of Rohm & Haas fame (think: plexiglass)...

http://www.williampennfoundation.org/

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Cumberland Forest

Ok, Wm. Penn and Plexiglas---got it---now, does ANYONE know where the Cumberland Forest is exactly, please?

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Lummis ponds are down in either Fairton or Lawrence Township (I forget which) in Cumberland County. Never heard it referred to as "cumberland forest".