Nature's Reality - from my Back Window

I've been watching the frantic efforts of robins, starlings, and other song birds, as they try to keep their rapidly growing nestlings fed.

I've also seen an abundance of crows-usually being chased and harassed by song birds - for good reason.

This morning a crow lit in my back yard with a live , still-struggling nestling in its beak . The nestling escaped briefly when one of the parent birds- (ruby-crowned kinglet, I think) started dive-bombing the raider; but the escape ended quickly, and the crow flew away with its prize ---probably to feed its own raucous nestlings.

Nature "is what it is" - despite our attempts to Disney-fy it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I agree completely. But I thought we weren't supposed to post those kinds of pictures here...

You are right, it's gone. Not sure it makes any difference but it did happen naturally.

Here is one with no dead stuff, yet.

30566242.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Sami, some Scandanavian country.

Oops, I missed your answer 46er. Good guess. They are a branch of Sami (Saami, Lapps) called Nenets. Like their Scandinavian relatives to the west, they are Reindeer herders. Nenets live in a remote area just east of the Polar Urals on the flat frozen ground of Yamal Peninsula:

South Jersey soils were physically weathered when permafrost was present during the Pleistocene, and are similar to those analyzed above the Siberian Arctic Circle.

Cornelius Weygandt (1940: 173–176) in Down Jersey:Folks at Their Jobs, Pine Barrens, Salt Marsh and Sea Islands speculated that Lapps might have been amongst the New Sweden settlers. I've always wondered if there are any similarities between Saami (present or past) and Pine Barrens Paleoindians?

PICT2654.jpg
Our hosts prepared a feast of reindeer w/lingonberry (cranberry relative) sauce and​
Siberian ice-crystal-rich sturgeon sashimi called "stroganina," washed down with vodka.​
Spung-Man​