NBC40 fades to black

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And the price of basic cable keeps going up and up.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
And the price of basic cable keeps going up and up.

I just installed an antenna in my attic. I can get 78 stations, some which are info channels and a few Hispanic channels, but I get the big 3 stations, fox,etc perfectly! One step closer to cutting the cable (except Internet)

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If it was just me I would cut the TV today. I never turn it on and yesterday could not figure out how to turn it off because I have not done that in years. I am the only one here who has not even turned the TV on in years. I watch it only when someone else has something on. I like my computer and could easily get by the rest of my life with it.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If it was just me I would cut the TV today. I never turn it on and yesterday could not figure out how to turn it off because I have not done that in years. I am the only one here who has not even turned the TV on in years. I watch it only when someone else has something on. I like my computer and could easily get by the rest of my life with it.

I bought the ChromeCast thingy for $30; cable gives me very little that I care for and can't get over my computer and the thingy except duplicate stations, repeat broadcasts, commercials, their political opinions and exorbitant cost. Once the special Comcast pricing is over so will my use of their tv programming.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I stopped watching TV when I moved to my current home in 2006 - no cable available. Best thing I ever did. But I have a big Sony TV and large library of DVDs. Over the past year I've ripped them all and loaded everything onto an iTunes server that I can access on my Mac. I also have an AppleTV and only use it to access the library (my internet connection is too slow for decent streaming). I have XM radio for news and music.

But this story about NBC 40 is just too funny for me. My daughter's family always spends New Years here and they want to watch the celebration in Time Square. So we try to do that on the internet and it never works very well. Yesterday I got a cheap indoor antenna to see what kind of broadcast stations I could get. I was really happy to find NBC 40, so we can watch the celebration over the air for a change. Now I find they are going off the air - what irony, LOL! Looks like we will be able to watch until the ball drops at least, which is all I want.

I can only get a few other stations, two seem like non-stop infomercials, two look like religious programming, two are Spanish and the other is NJ public broadcasting. So I will put that antenna away in the closet on Jan 1.