Near Hampton Furnace

A few weeks ago we were out near Hampton Furnace, as we traveled down the road and crossed the bridge the person we were with stopped and made us all get out of the cars and look down to the right (cars were facing the Furnace). At the bottom of the stream were what looked like a boardwalk. Someone said that it was the boards from an old stagecoach trail. Anyone know anything about this, the kids seemed interested so I thought it might be neat to find out. They also found some bog iron or maybe slag along the side of the creek.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
A few weeks ago we were out near Hampton Furnace, as we traveled down the road and crossed the bridge the person we were with stopped and made us all get out of the cars and look down to the right (cars were facing the Furnace). At the bottom of the stream were what looked like a boardwalk. Someone said that it was the boards from an old stagecoach trail. Anyone know anything about this, the kids seemed interested so I thought it might be neat to find out. They also found some bog iron or maybe slag along the side of the creek.

It was bog iron if it looked like reddish-brown, sandy rock. It was slag if it was smooth and glass-like, or full of tiny bubbles like pumice.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Once again a few little digits cast someone into the ocean.
Using a little intuition and 33 yaers of deciphering erroneous field notes' here is what he meant:
Latitude 39 degrees 46 minutes and 15.58 seconds
Longitude 74 degrees 40 minutes (not 04) and 47.64"
Puts you right in the crick at Hampton furnace.
Scott

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
it may have been one of the underwater bridges off of glossy spung rd.
348bridge_crossing-med.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
That's what I was thinking, king. I couldn't tell if rozecki was saying that the boardwalk was at the location of the furnace or in the vicinity of it.