need help ID' ing a snake

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
speaking of snakes, does anyone have a picture of a brown snake, also I guess called a northern brown snake. I saw a little guy in my garden today that was brown with two vertical rows of black dots down his back, any idea?
Brian

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
I got a picture from the internet, looks like this is what I saw. Is that rare or are they pretty common?
Brian

B

bach2yoga

Brian,
From the Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of NJ:
p 21
Northern Brown (DeKay's) Snake (Storeria dekayi dekayi)
ID: 9'-20 3/4'. This is a small brown snake. A vertical dark bar a short distance behind the eye is a key identifying mark. Ground color is light to dark brown or gray, sometimes with a slightly yellowish or reddish tone. Two rows of small dark spots run lengthwise along the sides of the back; a lighter stripe runs down the middle of the back between the dots. The dots may be hard to see. The belly is light yellow, brown, or pink, bordered by small black dots at the sides. Young are darker, with a yellow band around the neck, similar to the Ringneck Snake. Scales are keeled, 15017 rows, anal plate is divided.
Where to find them: Prefers moist upland and lowland habitats; may be found in relatively unpolluted suburban areas. It hides under debris on the ground.
When to find them: Active April through October
Range: Entire state.

It is not listed as a species of concern (threatened or endangered).

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
not rare at all irishman just that they like to burrow and live under things.not a plentiful barrens snake I believe.they like richer soil.I find them down here in cumberland county moreso after a rain while flipping boards and such.
Al

B

bach2yoga

How about Friday?You name when and where....

the big "R"

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
manumuskin said:
not rare at all irishman just that they like to burrow and live under things.not a plentiful barrens snake I believe.they like richer soil.I find them down here in cumberland county moreso after a rain while flipping boards and such.
Al

thank you. I'm in Salem County, he was in a patch of marigolds on the side of a vegetable bed, very cool little guy. I'm used to seeing black snakes and garters so this was a new one, thanks again.
Brian