need help identifying---name that animal!!

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
in my travels today, i found . . . evidence left over from several animals. They are separate and weren't found together, but I need help identifying them both. I have my suspicions but they just don't make sense.

aal.thumb.jpg

and the one i'm REALLY eager to find out about is this:
aak.sized.jpg

if anyone has suggestions, i'd love to hear them.

B

bach2yoga

how big was that print?
what the heck is that second picture? are they innards of some kind? ugh...
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That looks like waste! I assume you are trying to find out what animal that may be from?

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
bach2yoga said:
how big was that print?
it was too large to be a racoon. . . . i'd say dog-sized but it doesn't look much lik a dog's.

TeeGate said:
That looks like waste!

and yes--the second picture is an extreme closeup on a pile of poop that i just cannot identify. from the size, shape, color and contents---i'd say it was from a bear without hesitation . . . it looks exactly like bear scat---the only difference being the seeds are cranberry seeds and not blueberry or blackberry (which we all know are not around right now). I can see there being leftover cranberrys still somewhat preserved from the cold of winter.

But it can't be a bear. I found it in the pine barrens---and rather than be another unsubstantiated source of "there are black bears in the pine barrens!!" -- i was hoping someone with more experience in this field would be able to tell its something else. I've already systematically eliminated every other mammal in my head, though . . . so I beg for someone to prove me wrong

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
BEHR655 said:
No prints near by?

no. that one print i shot was a long way off . . . and this particular little "gift" was left in an area with virtually no imprinting surfaces at all.

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton,
There is increasingly more evidence of the possibility of bear in the northern fringes of the Pines. I myself saw what I would stake my life as being bear tracks at Double Trouble near the bridge about a year and a half ago, though others didn't believe me. Over the past year and a half I've heard too many other people finding evidence to believe that it isn't possible. There was no mistaking the tracks I found. I even measured them, they were 20 cm by 10 cm with both front and hind prints and the tracks were very clear.
A naturalist at Atlantic County Park that I know swears he has seen tracks on more than one occasion in Peaslee WMA in Atlantic County too.
I'm not quite so convinced about cougars yet though.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

If you had some of the sample you could submit it to the state for DNA testing.
Renee

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
When I was in Estelle Manor there was a State Fish & Game sign warning about bears in the area. That is not so far from here.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I found that very near double trouble, actually. I was on the outskirts, somewhere between the park and bamber lake . . . . where the power lines run.

JimH

Dec 28, 2003
Toms River, NJ
Looks like a racoon track to me and the little present looks like scat (bear goodies). There is an excellent book called, Tom Brown Field Guide to Nature, Observation, and tracking. He shows the track as well as the travel patterns of many animals and birds. From what I remember, he also shows the biproducts.

Good luck.

B

bach2yoga

JIMBO said:
When I was in Estelle Manor there was a State Fish & Game sign warning about bears in the area. That is not so far from here.

Where is that sign? Wonder if it's still there. That's Peaslee area, and Estelle Manor is definitely pines.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton said:
I found that very near double trouble, actually. I was on the outskirts, somewhere between the park and bamber lake . . . . where the power lines run.

HA! I feel vindicated!
Eat your hats, folk! :p :D
Renee

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
B

bach2yoga

Woah, that is so cool!
Thanks, Jimbo!
Well, it would be quite interesting if that bear were "disjunct" as they say with plants from all those in North Jersey...makes more sense for there to be one or two in the counties above it (like Ocean) too, n'est ce pas?
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As a graduate of Tom Browns Standard Survival course I consider this an equivalent of a PHD in animal poop and tracks.I pronounce both poop and tracks as Procyon Lotor or Racoon.I always see this kind of poop in conjunction with coon tracks which this definitely is the hind foot of a racoon.I"ve never actually observed a coon doing the deed and then held a poop inspection but this kind of poop always near water and coon tracks seems to scream coon S_ _t!:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
manumuskin said:
As a graduate of Tom Browns Standard Survival course I consider this an equivalent of a PHD in animal poop and tracks.I pronounce both poop and tracks as Procyon Lotor or Racoon.I always see this kind of poop in conjunction with coon tracks which this definitely is the hind foot of a racoon.I"ve never actually observed a coon doing the deed and then held a poop inspection but this kind of poop always near water and coon tracks seems to scream coon S_ _t!:)
Al

Al.

You seem to be the most certain, and if you are correct that pile can be very dangerious. I just did a search and it said that if infected that pile can have a million roundworm eggs in it.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
manumuskin said:
Al

Well its nice to see you're confident in that determination. Bear in mind, however, that the tracks and poop were probably about two miles away from one another, so---while they may both be from racoons, i wouldn't assume the poop based on the track.

But either way, thats a nice simple explaination, and I like those.

-Bob