need help identifying---name that animal!!

B

bach2yoga

I just came back from a Citizens United to protect the Maurice River etc. meeting. On the minutes was this--there has been a state confirmed bear sighting in south Jersey.
I will follow up to see if I can find out exactly where.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin said:
As a graduate of Tom Browns Standard Survival course I consider this an equivalent of a PHD in animal poop and tracks.I pronounce both poop and tracks as Procyon Lotor or Racoon.I always see this kind of poop in conjunction with coon tracks which this definitely is the hind foot of a racoon.I"ve never actually observed a coon doing the deed and then held a poop inspection but this kind of poop always near water and coon tracks seems to scream coon S_ _t!:)
Al

Ya think? I know racoons are supposed to do a LOT of poop, but this really is A LOT of poop!
:think:
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Like I said I"ve never actually watched a coon do the deed but I do know coon tracks and the picture you posted is a hind coon foot track.The poop I find usually in swamps near coon tracks and theirs a lotta seeds in it.I would say skunk coon or possum by the size and contents.I checked Olaus Muries Peterson Field Guide to tracks and he said coon,skunks and possums have similar poop and may be confused with each other.coons tend to be black to reddish,granular and they regularly eat seeds,nuts,roots,garden crops and anything they can generally chew up and swallow.the possum poop looked more broken up and i would imagine anything associated with skunk would smell like a skunk at least for awhile.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
PS,
If this poop was laid in mid winter I would say more then likely a coon because skunks and possums are pretty much comatose during the colder parts of winter though neither truly hibernate on the other hand coons are out and about in all but the nastiest weather so if it"s fresh and it"s been really cold lately I"d say coon.
I shoulda been a scatologist then I"d have a definite answer for you.

POOPY POWER!
Al

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
haha . . . i'm glad this is an interesting subject. It never really occurred to me to mention this (not sure why), but i sized the picture so that the smaller looked about the same size on the screen as it did in real life. the 640x596 is just about right at 1024 x 768 screen res. (if you don't adjust your screen res, it makes no sense saying that . . )

well for future reference, I will be carrying a ziplock bag on me at all times from this moment forward. In that case any possible scat questions may be answered. and next time i'm in that area (hopefully the next few days), i'll make sure to scour it for scat.

I say for all those poop advocates out there---lets all take a trip to the water gap---they have the best poop around.

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton said:
haha . . . i'm glad this is an interesting subject. It never really occurred to me to mention this (not sure why), but i sized the picture so that the smaller looked about the same size on the screen as it did in real life. the 640x596 is just about right at 1024 x 768 screen res. (if you don't adjust your screen res, it makes no sense saying that . . )

well for future reference, I will be carrying a ziplock bag on me at all times from this moment forward. In that case any possible scat questions may be answered. and next time i'm in that area (hopefully the next few days), i'll make sure to scour it for scat.

I say for all those poop advocates out there---lets all take a trip to the water gap---they have the best poop around.

Maybe put something in there for size reference--maybe a coin or pen or something...

Well, I must say I got much more of an education than I expected when I typed in bear scat in the search engine...apparently a lot of raunchy stuff out there...yech.
Renee