Need some help with route planning

DR_Rider_N2brk

Dec 21, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hi guys -

I need to plan a route, and I have a rough plan, but I'm looking for tips. We'll leave Pemberton and end in Pemberton. I was thinking about heading out and down route 9 south of New Gretna, and then looping around the Mullica River and coming back (loosely). I want to stick to paved roads only, and as much scenery as I can. I'd like to stay off as many major roads as possible and avoid popular areas and people. Total time of 3-4hours is preferred, but not cast in stone.

What are some of your best suggestions for roads to take for scenery, etc.

Thanks!
Wal

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hi Wal,
I am wondering...are you planning on doing this by motorcycle(dual sport?) or car?
The reason I ask is because there is a major problem with your criteria. You want to avoid major roads but stick to paved roads only. The problem with that is the only paved roads in that area are major roads. However, some are far from busy.

Here is a suggestion:
-From Pemberton take New Lisbon rd toward the 72/70 circle
-take 70 east at circle
-turn right into Brendan t Byrne S>F enterance (smokey the bear sign)
-follow signs for 72''
-left on 72 to right on 563
-bear left on cr 679 to route 9 New Gretna
-left on route 9 to tuckerton (will be populated)
-left on 539 to route 72
-left on 72
-72 circle to New lisbon rd. and back to start.

If you don't mind well packed dirt roads, I would suggest a rt on panama rd to route 532, rt on 532 to left on carranza rd, left at friendship and rt on 563 again. OR, as an alternate route with no dirt-left on Carranza, right on forked neck rd, left on 206, left on 542, left on 563 up to 72 again. That way you would not hit any populated areas.

Jeff

DR_Rider_N2brk

Dec 21, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It is a streetbike ride. I am having a BBQ and a ride with some friends, and some I know only over the net. I don't want to subject them to any sand riding on their streetbikes, which is why I said no off-road adventures.

I am trying to get them over to the Mullica River, maybe around Sweetwater, some of those less populated areas. I am trying to avoid the boring stuff like 72 or the Parkway, etc.

Thanks,
Wal

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I think if I were going, I would follow Woodjin suggestion down to New Gretna but then make a right heading toward Wading River and Batsto. After crossing the Wading River, I would probably make a left onto river road and cross the Mullica at Lower Bank. Then, head on into Green Bank. I love that area down there and often take this long scenic route home from Tuckerton to Tabernacle. You could stay south of the river or cross back and make a left toward Bulltown/Herman, Crowleytown, Batsto, Nesco, etc. Then Airport Road to 206. Have a beer at Pic-a-Lilli. For the final stretch - take a few of the back roads through Tabernacle and Southampton to get home. I never get tired of some of those roads. Good Luck. Sounds like fun!

DR_Rider_N2brk

Dec 21, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
that's more like I was thinking. Part of my fun is just finding roads almost at random down there. But, this time I need to make some routes with street names and such - yawn. hehe.

Thanks for the help!

Wal