Network question

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Does anyone know if it is possible to somehow run two modems off the same ISP account? I need a internet connection in my garage for my dads lawnmower business, I have tried wireless and range extenders, the signal was really weak if it had signal at all. Any input is appreciated. I just want to see if there is anything else I can do before I open another comcast account on top of the one I already have.

relayer

Explorer
Sorry for the following questions but the answers may make it easier to come up with a plan.

How far is the garage from your modem? Did you have the wireless router at that location? Is the garage detached? If the garage is detached, what kind of siding is on the house and garage? Are there metal cabinets on the walls of the garage? Is it possible to run network cable from a router?

relayer

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Sorry for the following questions but the answers may make it easier to come up with a plan.

How far is the garage from your modem? Did you have the wireless router at that location? Is the garage detached? If the garage is detached, what kind of siding is on the house and garage? Are there metal cabinets on the walls of the garage? Is it possible to run network cable from a router?

relayer

The garage is about 75 feet from the modem give or take a few. I have a wireless router for my computers that are inside of my house, they all work great with no problems. The siding on the house is aluminum and the garage is cinderblock, there are a few shelves on the walls inside the garage as well as boxes and boxes of mower parts and engines. What I did was I ran a coax cable out to the shop, should I run a ethernet out there? Do they make a ethernet cable that long? Would that work?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The garage is about 75 feet from the modem give or take a few. I have a wireless router for my computers that are inside of my house, they all work great with no problems. The siding on the house is aluminum and the garage is cinderblock, there are a few shelves on the walls inside the garage as well as boxes and boxes of mower parts and engines. What I did was I ran a coax cable out to the shop, should I run a ethernet out there? Do they make a ethernet cable that long? Would that work?

Wolf,

They sell ethernet in spools so there is wire that long. You have to buy the ends and the tool to put them on. Don't seem worth it for you.

Try this.

http://www.optimization-world.com/details/prodid/35.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherCab100/

Guy

relayer

Explorer
Guy's suggestion looks good to me providing you need less than 12 ft of cable at either end to connect.

Wireless range is just plain odd. On one hand, I've been able to regularly "see" several neighboring networks that were, some oof them, probably in excess of 100 ft away/ On the other we sometimes have trouble talking to the printer down the hall. Since you've tried range extenders with no luck (I just read some underwhelming reviews "extended sweet spot range from 20 to 30 feet") and since my one best guess about the problem, the aluminum siding, cannot be realistically changed, I thought I'd leave a link to a "war driving" site. War drivers are the folks who go around looking for open wifi lans and use them to surf the internet. Doing this on some wireless lans can apparently get folks in big trouble these days if they get caught. The technology, however, is interesting.
http://www.wardriving.com/antenna.php
Just be smart about downloads and other linked sites.
good luck

relayer

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Sweet, I will will run the ethernet out there, that will work, and seems to be the best choice. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. I will just run the ethernet from one of the ports on my router to the computer out in the mower shop. Works and wont have to worry about paying twice. :D