New at Ft. Dix

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Go back to the map and switch to topo. I bet the cleared circle area is used as higher elevation so they can look down and see what is going one. Let me know what you think.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Go back to the map and switch to topo. I bet the cleared circle area is used as higher elevation so they can look down and see what is going one. Let me know what you think.

I think that is a depression now. They took that material to be used elsewhere--you can see the machinery marks. Also note that wedge is about 1 mile long. Quite a long clearing.

Also, the clearing was always low, you may be looking at the wrong place on the topo.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That end of the post is the artillery ranges.They used to be a bit north of there closer to the NE corner but that definitely looks like a new one.We used to bivouac exactly across the road (east) of there in boot camp when we did our 12 mile ruck march.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If you look closely, you can see what looks like places for the opposition to fire from, kind of like square concrete bunkers with the backs open. But then again, maybe they are places to hang targets.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The reason you have the evenly spaced semi circles is so they can practice getting their range and knowing exactly how far a target is.They used to have old tanks sitting out there they could drag around from place to place.

Reactions: bobpbx