New book profiles people who are at home in the Pine Barrens

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I noticed a sign on 206 in Pemberton/southampton that a book signing was taking place this past Sunday. I meant to go but got too busy with other things. Sorry I didn't mentioned it here ahead of time. I didn't see it till the Saturday before. Marilyn at Buzby's sells this book.

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I saw this at B & N and at Buzby's. It brought back some good memories for me. Among other things, there is a short piece about Albertus Pepper (bluberry Farmer in the Chatsworth area). Years ago we used to go to his farm to pick, he was always so nice. We all called him Mr Pepper.

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
The author was signing at the Pinelands Jamboree in Waretown last weekend...as were a couple of people in the book (unofficially.)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I met him today at Chatsworth, purchased the book, and he signed it. I asked him if he was related to Clyde Birdsall who was the head ranger at Atsion when I first started exploring the pines in 1973, and he informed me he was not. I was not the first to ask him that question. Using the info that I knew and what Largo has mentioned I explained who he was.

It was really nice talking with him, and I hope to look the book over soon, but I have to pry it out of Jessica's hands. The photo's look really nice.

Guy

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Among other things, there is a short piece about Albertus Pepper (bluberry Farmer in the Chatsworth area). Years ago we used to go to his farm to pick, he was always so nice. We all called him Mr Pepper.

Sadly, Mr. Pepper passed away on Sunday at the age of 95. He had been ill for some time. He will be missed.

Thank goodness for Bob Birdsall and his foresight in recording the memories of so many of the (contemporary) legendary figures of the Pines.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My condolences to his family. I have good memories of conversations I had with him when we went to his farm to pick berries.