new camera

B

bach2yoga

I just ordered a Nikon 5700 digital this morning, with the optical zoom. It has 5.0 effective mp, and I am hoping that with the optical zoom that it will give me the close-up shots that I want. I want shots that are closer than I can do with my SLR, and closer than I have seen from any digital pictures of my friends. This is a whole different ballgame for me, so I hope that I've picked well. :|
This is the description:

8x Zoom Digital Camera featuring 5.0 effective megapixels
• 5.0 effective megapixels for 2,560 x 1,920-pixel images
• Newly designed 8x Zoom-Nikkor lens with 8.9-71.2mm coverage (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm [135] format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (32x when combined with optical zoom)
• Nikon’s advanced image-processing algorithm ensures faithful color reproduction
• Exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering and Matrix Auto White Balance ensure outstanding exposure and white balance control
• Macro shooting down to 3cm (1.2 in.); macro shooting down to 50cm (19.7 in.) at full telephoto 280mm (35mm [135] format) also possible; convenient Best Shot Selector (BSS) function also available
• Durable, professional-grade magnesium (Mg)-alloy body combines refined ergonomics with a compact size
• Electronic ViewFinder (EVF) for bright accurate through-the-lens frame coverage; Vari-angle LCD for total convenience in every shooting position; both deliver images almost instantly
• Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 8 sec.
• Versatile white balance settings and White Balance Bracketing
• Saturation control (4 steps and Black & White) enables in-camera color modification for direct printing
• Noise Reduction mode for long-time exposures
• Clear Image mode for ultra-smooth color gradation at image sizes up to 1,280 x 960 pixels (SXGA size)
• Multiple capture modes, including Continuous shooting of up to 3 frames per second in full size and Ultra High-speed Continuous shooting of up to 30 fps at 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA size)
• RAW image (NEF format) data recording mode for increased image quality and enhanced post-processing potential
• Movies with audio (up to 60 sec.) and a built-in speaker for confirmation playback
• Quick Review button to check any image while in record mode (both captured photos and your current subject are displayed in the LCD monitor); pressing the shutter release button once reactivates record mode
• Built-in Speedlight automatically pops up when light is low or a subject is backlit; camera also features ISO 518 accessory shoe to accommodate external Speedlight attachment
• Plug-and-play USB 1.1 interface for connection to a computer
• Easy-to-use Nikon View 5 software for seamless transfer and easy management of images on a wide range of Operating systems
• Optional Nikon Capture 3 - the highest performance image and control software from a camera manufacturer offers dedicated imaging tools, including RAW data processing, aimed at the needs of the photographer
• Full line of system accessories (optional) including a new 28mm (35mm [135] format) wideangle converter lens and a 1.5x telephoto converter lens, along with a battery pack that uses six 1.5V LR6 (\"AA\"-size alkaline) batteries and enables easier vertical shooting

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Have you seen the macro shots from my camera?

Um, I'm embarressed to say no! I haven't looked at anyone's albums for quite a while, and I haven't had a chance to peruse the newer albums yet, or catch up on about ten rolls of film of my own that I need to look at yet! Very, very busy over here... I keep looking at the random pictures when I check in and telling myself that I need to look at them one of these days!

What album are they in? Could you refresh me on your camera?

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Renee,

Sounds like a great camera. If it has the option, turn off the digital zoom. All it does is spread out the pixels and makes a poor picture, even with a tripod.

Steve

Well, I am hoping so, since I really have no clue what I am doing! :lol:

Thanks for the advice, I will remember that...sighs...I was finally getting the hang of the SLR and now I will have a whole new learning curve!! :p

Renee

B

bach2yoga

I ordered a 1.5x converter for it as well, which is supposed to take it to a 35 mm equivalent of 420 mm, which is more than I have on my SLR (that's 310).
Anyone ever used a converter on theirs?
Renee

Renee,

I see this message thread is about 8 months old, so I hope you have been getting months of good use out of your camera.

I purchased the Coolpix 5000 back in 2002. The Coolpix 5000 is very similar to your camera except it only has a 3x optical zoom. I think 3x is a little weak and I really wish I had waited until the Coolpix 5700 came out.

I have both the 2x and 3x teleconverters that go with my camera. I am a little disappointed that I can't zoom in and out with the teleconverter attached. I must have the lens fully extended in telephoto mode or my image is nothing more than a big black rectangle with a small circular image in the center. I don't know if your camera acts the same way. I also noticed the camera's autofocus has trouble focusing sometimes with the teleconverter attached, and the depth of field is not as good when using the teleconverter.

Other than that, I really like my Coolpix 5000. I hope you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of your Coolpix 5700.

Mark

B

bach2yoga

Mark,
I just used my digital today for the first time in 4 months. It was in Nikon's repair in CA for an OJ spill in the car when Joe pulled over to the side of the road.
It's definitely nice to see those pics right away. cheaper too.
But I also picked up a new strictly macro lens for my SLR, 50 mm with 1:1, 2.5 speed and I am thrilled with some of my newer photos (not posted). I can zero right in on a single stamen of a larger flower, with the object I am photographing being life size on my film.
So the SLR will remain my camera for serious pics, and the digital for general trip pics, like today.
Renee

mfletcher35 said:
Renee,

I see this message thread is about 8 months old, so I hope you have been getting months of good use out of your camera.

I purchased the Coolpix 5000 back in 2002. The Coolpix 5000 is very similar to your camera except it only has a 3x optical zoom. I think 3x is a little weak and I really wish I had waited until the Coolpix 5700 came out.

I have both the 2x and 3x teleconverters that go with my camera. I am a little disappointed that I can't zoom in and out with the teleconverter attached. I must have the lens fully extended in telephoto mode or my image is nothing more than a big black rectangle with a small circular image in the center. I don't know if your camera acts the same way. I also noticed the camera's autofocus has trouble focusing sometimes with the teleconverter attached, and the depth of field is not as good when using the teleconverter.

Other than that, I really like my Coolpix 5000. I hope you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of your Coolpix 5700.

Mark