New GPS

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My 3 year old Streetpilot was beginning to show its age so on an impulse I replaced it today with a Garmin Nuvi 650. Wow... very impressed with this new model :)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8671&tab=nuvi650

It uses a new chipset and the reception is unbelievable, so I guess I have to update some comments I made in another thread about new units not offering much more. I'm sitting in the house now and it gets 5 strong satellite signals with ~30 foot accuracy. Neither of my old units got a signal at all inside. It's also very fast to acquire the satellites.

The Nuvi series really seems to be the state of the art and departs from Garmin's older units because they mount on your computer just like a hard drive and you can copy files to and from it. Just loaded my topo maps and they look really good - much, much better than either of my old units. And you can even view them in pseudo-3d which is kind of cool.

The screen is big and incredibly bright with a very responsive touch. Builtin battery so you can pop it out of the car mount and carry around. Probably not what you would want fo hiking though. The most glaring omission is that it doesn't save or display tracks. Also missing some other features a true handheld would have. But it's great for the car. Was able to move all my old waypoints without any problem using Mapsource. These new units also let you create custom Points of Interest (POI's) which have a lot of cool features that waypoints don't have. Still need to study up on that a bit, but there are some shareware tools for this that look very interesting.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I saw one of those not too long ago. Trying to keep it from my husband for as long as I can. The one I saw has voice recognition so you can say "navigate to home" and it will calculate the route.
Can you enter coordinates by hand without a computer interface? That's missing from a lot of newer models and is a feature we use a lot.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This model doesn't have voice recognition, although that wouldn't be something I'd want. I have this thing... I don't like machines that talk and I don't like talking to machines :)

Yes, on the "where to" screen there's an option to manually type in the coordinates in your choice of format (ddd mm ss.s / ddd mm.mmm / ddd.ddddd). You could then save that location as a waypoint. But what's missing is that you can't edit the coordinates of an existing waypoint using the GPS, you would need to do that in Mapsource.

There also isn't any button to mark your current location as a waypoint. You can however tap the triangle symbol that shows your location and save it as a waypoint. It's too bad that they don't have quite the feature mix on this unit that I would like, but for automotive use it's really very nice so I'm willing to accept some compromises.

There are also a few less expensive models of the Nuvi with the same screen and processor but a few less features.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 301