New Jersey Conservation Foundation names Ocean County preserve

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
OCEAN TOWNSHIP — When Candace McKee Ashmun first visited Forked River Mountain, she was looking for an actual mountain.
"I'm an Oregonian. When I hear ‘mountain,' I expect to see a mountain. Or at least a hill of some sort," said Ashmun, 86, who now lives in Bernards Township, Somerset County.
But on Saturday afternoon, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation named the relatively flat "mountain," and the 4,000-acre preserve that it is part of, after Ashmun.
Ashmun is the acting chairwoman of the state Pinelands Commission and is the only original member of the commission who is still active. She also is the founding member of the Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions and the State Planning Commission.
"She's the woman with the whip who gets things done," joked Michele S. Byers, executive director of the New Jersey Conservation Foundation, of which Ashmun also is a longtime volunteer. "But seriously, she is probably the most staunch and dedicated conservation leader in the history of New Jersey. And she brings an enormous amount of energy and knowledge to dealing with the important land preservation issues we face here."
Byers said officials have wanted to dedicate a preserve to Ashmun for years but did not have the "right" property until the last 700 acres of the preserve at Forked River Mountain — which extends from Wells Mills Park to Lacey Township — were obtained last year.
"This is one of the few remaining wilderness areas in New Jersey, meaning it's not crossed with paved roads and there are no landmarks to guide you. And this is huge considering that we're in New Jersey - the most densely populated state in the union," Byers said. "So it really is fitting that we name it after Candy."
The land also is home to many rare and threatened plants and animals, such as the Pine Barrens gentian and the Pine Barrens tree frog.
Ashmun, who graduated from Smith College in 1946 with a degree in physics, said she had no choice in becoming an environmentalist.
"If you came from Oregon, you're going to be involved in the environment," she said.
The grandmother of eight also joked that she had no choice in joining the Pinelands Commission, of which she has been a member since 1979.
"I got a call one day, and they said, ‘We need a female and an environmentalist, and you're it,'" she said.
But with family and friends by her side, many of whom traveled from out of state to share the moment with her, Ashmun expressed what the dedication really meant to her.
"Of all of the things one would want, having acres preserved in their name is the best," she said. "And when you think of how sensitive this particular area is, given the ecology and that the Forked River is right here, this is very exciting. Very exciting."
Contact Robert Spahr:
609-272-7283
RSpahr@pressofac.com

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
But on Saturday afternoon, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation named the relatively flat "mountain," and the 4,000-acre preserve that it is part of, after Ashmun.

Well I'm a little confused now.... does this mean that Forked River Mountain itself is now part of the preserve? I thought it was still private? I'm sure she is a remarkable person, but I don't think I'll be calling it "Mount Asmun" myself...

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was at the dedication ceremony and was not under the impression that the mountain itself was included in the new preserve. I've learned from experience that newspaper articles are not the best sources of specifics on a topic. Reporters have good intentions but are hastily jotting down notes on a pad at an event and often miss things. I've read myself quoted in articles saying things I never said.

As for Candy, I was glad I attended the ceremony. I previously knew of her, but not much about her and I learned that she is one of those movers and shakers in the environmental movement that gets great things accomplished while staying out of the limelight. Quite a contrast to those that make names for theirselves while seemingly accomplishing very little (cough...cough....Trenton....cough....cough)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks German. Until I hear otherwise I still believe it is in private hands.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the Foundation;

http://www.njconservation.org/html/10-18-10AshmunPreserve.htm

It would appear from the Foundations map that the mountains are not included in the preserve.

Locatormapsmall.jpg

cjage

Sep 15, 2008
Ashmun Preserve

I work for NJCF and can confirm that the mountain is not part of our preserve. The mountain and the 5,000 acre tract that it sits on are still privately held. All we did here was take our existing Forked River Mountain Preserve and rename it after Candy. We did add 620 acres to the preserve in November of last year which gave us road frontage on 532 for the first time so you will now a sign and a kiosk at the trailhead that leads into the preserve.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You might want to set the record straight with the newspaper in that case.... :) "But on Saturday afternoon, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation named the relatively flat "mountain," and the 4,000-acre preserve that it is part of, after Ashmun."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was some seriously inaccurate or maybe naive reporting.

Guy