New Jersey officials seeking live-in caretaker for historic tavern

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That photo appears altered. There are no trees that close to the building, and none like that across the road. I'll look for a recent one.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What photo?:D Now it’s just in the thumbnail.
If you clicked awhile ago it was there, now this is there:
1708047882926.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This site has the one I mentioned being altered.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They even altered the step, either in the photo or physically.

Rudy's feet are in the photo and he was proud that the original steps were still there. Look at the steps in Bob's link right above.

CB Steps.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Looking at it again, before the change, I had the tavern reversed in my mind. That clump of trees on the left is gone today, but it could have been there when the landscaping was laid aside while they were restoring it. That area is a sort of small garden now. This photo is before the renovation.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Has anyone gone to any of the re-enactments here held in December like the article states? Would love to see some photos. The revolutionary timeframe in the pine barrens is of great interest to me. I also studied NJ History in about the Fourth Grade and vividly remember the parts on Captain Bacon and the Pine Robbers. Not at the time of this battle (1782) but at the outbreak of hostilities would you have sided with the rebels or would you have been a loyalist and why? I am curious what you all would say. Personally, I'm pretty sure I'd have joined the militia as I am inclined to abhor authority and usually pull for the underdog.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone gone to any of the re-enactments here held in December like the article states? Would love to see some photos. The revolutionary timeframe in the pine barrens is of great interest to me. I also studied NJ History in about the Fourth Grade and vividly remember the parts on Captain Bacon and the Pine Robbers. Not at the time of this battle (1782) but at the outbreak of hostilities would you have sided with the rebels or would you have been a loyalist and why? I am curious what you all would say. Personally, I'm pretty sure I'd have joined the militia as I am inclined to abhor authority and usually pull for the underdog.

Never been to one but someone at some point did post photos but they may no longer be available to view.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Has anyone gone to any of the re-enactments here held in December like the article states? Would love to see some photos.

Some old threads. There are a few photos and a couple more in articles that are linked to. Unfortunately, lots of broken links in the older threads.

Reactions: Trailwalker

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I have been many times. It is a great re-enactment with people who are willing to speak to you about their equipment or the local history. They let my kids who were young, hold a musket, sword, bayonet and pistol. It is not on the level of Battle of Monmouth, Trenton or Princeton but still worth checking out.