New Jersey (sonic Boom?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Anyone hear or feel this boom?
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2012_008/us/index.html

People are reporting they felt the ground shake Saturday morning in South Jersey.
The U.S. Geological Survey and the National Weather Service are not reporting an earthquake in the area. However, there is speculation it could be a sonic boom, according to the USGS.

Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst spokesman Pascual Flores told NBC News on Saturday, "There currently is no training of any type that would have resulted in today's incident."

The New Jersey National Guard last weekend conducted artillery-fire training that it told the public about in advance.
New Jersey residents in Atlantic, Cape May, Ocean, Salem and Camden County are chattering about what they felt, what they heard and when it happened.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Possible-Sonic-Boom-in-S-Jersey-175074621.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It happened at 11:05 when I was taking this photo.

IMG_1811.JPG

Guy

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Officials have confirmed that the tremor felt by many South Jersey residents was caused by a military aircraft.

It all happened around 11:15, with many people taking to social media reporting feeling a vibration from the ground and in their homes.

The first assumption for residents was that it was Mother Nature.

The U.S. Geological Survey's website shows the areas of New Jersey that felt the tremors, but has clearly labeled the event as a possible sonic boom, an event caused by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound.

NBC 40 reached out to the 177th Fighter Wing in Egg Harbor Township, but officials there said that they could not comment as to whether or not the event was caused by one of their aircraft breaking the sound barrier.

For now, the rumblings that many felt, remain a mystery.
From NBC 40

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Now that you mention it, I also heard something around that time. I was inside and the radio was on so I turned it off to hear if something was going on outside, but there was nothing. Weird....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They can narrow it down to 11:05. I took that photo and was looking at it when it happened. The photo stays on for 5 seconds and during that 5 seconds it happened. So maybe it was 11:06 but before 11:06:04. My GPS is calibrated with Apple Time servers each time I plug it in so it was exact.

Guy

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Guy's fortuitous photo of his GPS unit seem to be an unequivocal time-check to me! Sometimes the planets and stars do align just right, eh?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took the photo and heard the noise as I mentioned. I called to Jessica who did not hear me. I then took a few other photo's and took a GPS reading of the stone. I used the average feature on my GPS which continues to take readings trying to narrow down the exact coordinates. I took almost 150 readings circling the stone trying to get it as close as possible. I then headed up the hill and examined a hole which most likely was the outhouse hole. I then met Jessica and took this photo. The time says 11:12.

IMG_1813.JPG

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My GPS is calibrated with Apple Time servers each time I plug it in so it was exact.

I'm confused by this. You don't "calibrate" the time on a GPS, it derives the time from the satellites. In fact, that's how GPS works. :)

Maybe you meant "camera" instead of "GPS"?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes Boyd, I was thinking GPS when in fact it is my camera that calibrates. Sorry about that. In any event, the GPS is exact because of the satellite as you say.