New Jersey: The Green State?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Green State

Interesting, but I'm skeptical. The whole carbon footprint thing - I'm not buying it:

In only five states did people travel fewer miles in their vehicles than they did in New Jersey in 2005, the most recent year for which government data is available.

Aren't there other factors to consider, such as how many cars are on the road at any given time in this State?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
What about the effects of idling and stop-and-go traffic? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the article, but I'm thinking in terms of carbon emmissions locally.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I guess you could make an argument saying that idling and stop-and-go traffic would have an effect on the results, but how would you quantify that scientifically? There are days that I drive into NYC and there is awful stop and go traffic, and there are days that I breeze right through the Holland Tunnel.

I guess by only looking at distance traveled they try to keep the playing field level between all of the other states. Problem is, however, that cars are far less efficient idiling then when they are screaming down the interstate at 4000 RPM.

The other thing to consider is that this is just one of the factors that they used to determine the score.

Honestly, without a real scientific report behind it, it's a fluff piece.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
dragonfly said:
The carbon footprint number in the article is reported as a PER CAPITA, so isn't comparing NJ, which is #1 in population density per square mile in the country, to other states with much lower rankings, wrong somehow?

That's what I was thinking.