New law: no smoking in public parks, forests?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cigars and pipes are included. Here is the law:
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL18/64_.PDF

If you really want to see some crazy stuff go to the NJ Legislature website and search smoking and tobacco as the bill subject subject. There is one that intends to ban only menthol cigarettes because they have such a cooling effect that they encourage you to smoke more without tasting the really bad things in tobacco smoke. Really ??? :confused:

I DON"T like the bill that wants to ban tobacco coupons. I get monthly discount coupons from Red Man and if you ever get a stale pouch, they will send you coupons for 2-3 free pouches. I once emailed Pinkerton (makers of Red Man) and asked a question about the difficulty in finding Red Man Select. I received a nice letter, a map of not so nearby locations :( and 3 coupons for $5 off of three pouches.
God Bless America and Big Tobacco !!

Yet they want to legalize pot :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/marijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.html

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
“State park or forest” means any State owned or leased land, water or facility administered by the Department of Environmental Protection, including, but not limited to, a park, forest, recreational area, marina, historic site, burial site, or natural area, but not including a wildlife management area or reservoir land. "

I can understand a campground or beach but the entire forest such as the Wharton tract, Bass River tract, etc.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Next they will be outlawing smoking while in a car which might actually be a good thing if it worked. Then people wouldn't throw cigarettes out the car window. But these laws are really backdoor attempts to outlaw smoking and drinking - all the police traffic stop sobriety checks, laws against having a tiny amount of alcohol in your blood - meanwhile the whole country is filled up with restaurants and bars selling liquor, and everybody - outside of Manhattan - drives to those places - so why don't they just come out and bring back prohibition and outlaw cigarettes instead of all this baloney? Then we can have speakeasys again and Al Capone Jr. can come back with beer trucks with tail gunners. Chatsworth would be a good place for a speakeasy, and making moonshine could be a good business for Pineys. Buzby's - if it's still there - would be a good spot. Sell bootleg cigarettes from Canada under the counter too.

New Jersey, though, has more damn laws. It's a beautiful state - large parts of it anyway. If you guys could just rise up and kill all the politicians!

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Next they will be outlawing smoking while in a car which might actually be a good thing if it worked. Then people wouldn't throw cigarettes out the car window. But these laws are really backdoor attempts to outlaw smoking and drinking - all the police traffic stop sobriety checks, laws against having a tiny amount of alcohol in your blood - meanwhile the whole country is filled up with restaurants and bars selling liquor, and everybody - outside of Manhattan - drives to those places - so why don't they just come out and bring back prohibition and outlaw cigarettes instead of all this baloney? Then we can have speakeasys again and Al Capone Jr. can come back with beer trucks with tail gunners. Chatsworth would be a good place for a speakeasy, and making moonshine could be a good business for Pineys. Buzby's - if it's still there - would be a good spot. Sell bootleg cigarettes from Canada under the counter too.

New Jersey, though, has more damn laws. It's a beautiful state - large parts of it anyway. If you guys could just rise up and kill all the politicians!
I like it!
MY uncle had a Speak Easy in Dividing Creek back in the 70"s thru 90"s called "The Shack" All the cops hung out there.

Reactions: Pan

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I like it!
MY uncle had a Speak Easy in Dividing Creek back in the 70"s thru 90"s called "The Shack" All the cops hung out there.

Cool...but a speakeasy in the 1970's thru 90's? But likker was legal then! Perhaps it was a private club like the old Bucket of Blood in my old neighborhood, Inwood, NYC, turned into in its latter days - and maybe it still is for all I know - it looks sealed up from the outside. And you know a joint with a name like that was very classy, right.

I had to look up Dividing Creek, NJ because I never heard of it. Ah so...I've never been to that part of NJ! I've been to the Jersey Shore many times, and of course the barrens, and farther north all over the place, but I don't think I've ever been to that Deleware Bay region.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Cool...but a speakeasy in the 1970's thru 90's? But likker was legal then! Perhaps it was a private club like the old Bucket of Blood in my old neighborhood, Inwood, NYC, turned into in its latter days - and maybe it still is for all I know - it looks sealed up from the outside. And you know a joint with a name like that was very classy, right.

Those old rough and tumble nautical bar names are something, ain't they? The Rusty Scupper, Jack's surfside, the Crossed Daggers, the Dirty dog, etc.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I had to look up Dividing Creek, NJ because I never heard of it. Ah so...I've never been to that part of NJ! I've been to the Jersey Shore many times, and of course the barrens, and farther north all over the place, but I don't think I've ever been to that Deleware Bay region.
Uncle Ed always called it a Speak Easy and He had no liquor license so it was an illegal beer joint.WEather that would really qualify as a speak easy I do not know,Hell I don't even drink.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Uncle Ed always called it a Speak Easy and He had no liquor license so it was an illegal beer joint.WEather that would really qualify as a speak easy I do not know,Hell I don't even drink.

If Uncle Ed had no liquor license and the cops hung out there that's good enough for me - it was a speakeasy! It was in the far south of NJ but I guess that wasn't far enough south for it to have been called a blind tiger. Is it all gone now, maybe turned into a burger king?

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I like your avatar, Manumuskin. No offense, but you look like you might have some Jersey Devil blood in your family line!

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is it all gone now, maybe turned into a burger king?

Ain't no Burger Kings in Dividing Creek. ;)

You should check out that part of the state sometime, I like it, there is a very different feeling, with small towns that have seen little change in recent years, and some nice Wildlife Management Areas. Unlike other parts of New Jersey, it isn't "on the way" to somewhere else. I mean, millions of people pass through the pines on Route 70 and Route 72 on their way to the shore. Nothing like that after you cross the Maurice River!

Reactions: Pan

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have lived in Dividing Creek off and on and have had family there since the 50's. and I can vouch that very little has changed there.Outside of the "Down by the Creek being built in an overgrown field I used to play in and several building that used to be stores are now abandoned no not much has changed. If anything there seems to be less happening there now then when i was a kid.Oh yes, the bridge was rebuilt in I believe the late 80's.Used to be able to see the river through the board sidewalks across it like the main street bridge in Millville.. My uncle dove off the bridge at low tide once and got his head stuck in the mud on the bottom.Said he about drowned before he wiggled it out.He was about 14 and I was about 10 then. Sounds like something a 14 year old would do.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
When people ask me if I"m related to the Jersey Devil I have been known to tell them their looking at Him:) If that isn't a $#!T eatin grin there never was one:)

Pleased to meet you, Jersey D! I've spent many nights sleeping in the Pine Barrens and I always sleep soundly in those woods. The Jersey Devil watches over me. He's my friend.

PS I just recalled the last time I slept in there, and by then i was a visitor from far away, and that was years ago now. Maybe I didn't sleep so soundly that night as there were strange sounds all night long. I think it was the wind rubbing branches together, but it might have been haunts.

Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Ain't no Burger Kings in Dividing Creek. ;)

You should check out that part of the state sometime, I like it, there is a very different feeling, with small towns that have seen little change in recent years, and some nice Wildlife Management Areas. Unlike other parts of New Jersey, it isn't "on the way" to somewhere else. I mean, millions of people pass through the pines on Route 70 and Route 72 on their way to the shore. Nothing like that after you cross the Maurice River!

Sounds real interesting. Speaking of out of the way places I was just talking about the times I went to Boulder, Utah, in the far south of the state. It is very remote and spectacular country...but it's one of those places that "you can't get there from here". I live in southern Arizona now and to get there from here - unless you want to detour 500 miles to the west - you drive straight north on the dirt road all the way across Giant Staircase Escalante National Monument - a place you don't hear about very much - don't get caught in there when it rains - talk about very remote and spectacular country!

Yeah I like out of the way places like that non burger king infested part of new jersey that even I, with my yen to explore places like that, never even noticed - which is probably just the way the denizens like it - a place that people don't notice. I sure would if I lived there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The one thing to do in Diving CReek in summer besides swimming in the Blue Holes is crabbing.Used to be just locals out to Turkey Point and Owls nest but then the advent of the internet publicized such places and now on a summer weekend good luck getting a spot between Shoobies and migrant farm workers. We don't have the best crabbing spots to ourselves anymore.But then again I have found many neat spots in Shooby land through the internet so it's give and take.