New LIDAR with 3x higher resolution

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's too bad. Do you know what the "..." part said? Did it lose the connection to the server? Did you look in your download folder to see if anything was there? Maybe try again later, like let it run tonight while you sleep?

One thing to keep in mind with big files like this, they will not work on devices that use the FAT32 filesystem which has a 4gb limit per file. This is the old Windows standard, but it's not likely to be used on your PC's internal drive. There are some older external hard drives that might be formatted as FAT32, and it's (unfortunately) still a standard for USB flash drives up to 32gb.

You can still use big files on these flash drives if you format them as exFAT however.

T

Toothy Critter

I have no idea what you just said... am tech handicapped :) No big deal, just gives me one more reason to throw this thing in the recycle pile and get with modern times. But thanks. Maps ARE insane though :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, here's a translation...

"Something screwed up when you tried the download. Try again tonight. Don't put the map on a flash drive or ancient external hard drive." :)

It may very well be time for a new computer, but my maps and Mobile Atlas Creator should also be compatible with Windows XP and older systems.

T

Toothy Critter

Tried again no go Took a pic of error message with my iPhone but cannot post it on your site for some reason. It says "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error Windows cannot complete the extraction The destination file could not be created" Can't post pics on forum either. Is ok.... As long as I can still go fishing all is copacetic. I can play Chopin on the guitar but I don't know a byte from a beta on the computer. Thanks for the concern Boyd ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haha. :)

That message sounds like you might be running out of free space on your hard drive. Have you checked recently? It also sounds like you actually may have the downloaded file on your computer, but just weren't able to extract the files. The download is named boydmapLP-HD.zip. If so, then you wouldn't need to download again.

If you are running out of free space, you could delete some things and then right click that file and choose "Extract All". Either way, check your downloads folder to make sure you aren't accumulating multiple copies of that file, since they are each 15gb.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have no idea what you just said... am tech handicapped :) No big deal, just gives me one more reason to throw this thing in the recycle pile and get with modern times. But thanks. Maps ARE insane though :)

You can get a 1 terabyte external hard drive for around $50 and have storage for just about anything for almost forever. Except perhaps Boyd's maps. :eek: For that you may need a Yottabyte or two. :)

For your non-technical side, 1 terabyte is 1,000,000,000,000 individual alphanumeric characters, technically known as bytes. ;)

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
1 terabyte is 1,000,000,000,000 individual alphanumeric characters, technically known as bytes. ;)

Actually that is somewhat controversial and has been the basis of at least one class action lawsuit. I remember getting a coupon for some free software as a settlement for anyone who bought disks from a certain company (WD I think). Anyway, a kilobyte is actually not 1000 bytes, it's 1024 bytes. This sounds trivial until you extend it out... a megabyte would be 1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 bytes and not 1,000,000.

A gigabyte is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 bytes and a terabyte is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 =1,099,511,627,776 bytes!

That's almost a hundred extra gigabytes! :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yea, but all the junk preloaded software that's on it eats up more, very similar to a 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 etc, not actually being those dimensions. Cheating is everywhere. We pay $2.799 for a gallon of gas. Did you ever give the attendant $2.80 and ask for change? Try it some time. Priceless.