New mountain bike trail in Wharton

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Last weekend I noticed new markers by High Crossing

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=277&pos=2

so I stoped at the Atsion ranger station yesterday to ask about them.
A woman working behind the desk said that it markes a mountain bike trail starting at Atsion, down Quaker Bridge road, up to Lower Forge, some how gets to High Crossing, then on to Hampton Furnace, out Hampton road to 206 and south to the ranger station at Atsion. She also said they will be cleaning up some fire breaks for advanced trails. She was the one nailing them to the trees.

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It's marked from Quaker Bridge, through High Crossing to Hampton Furnace. From there follow Hampton Road out to 206, then south to the ranger station.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Yeah, I talked to a woman (probably the same one) the Friday before Earth Day. Apparently they were approached by employees from the new REI in Marlton about this idea. I wasn't too overjoyed when I saw the trail map (aka up Quaker Bridge Rd).

I've been trying to find decent mountain bike trails for years in the Pine Barrens and it always ends up being the dirt roads in the pines. I'm really looking forward to the use of fire cuts as trails. It's a shame the Batona Trail can't be used as a mountain bike trail. There are portions in Wharton that have amazing singeltrack. Then again, I see evidence of horses and motorcycles on the Batona all the time so obviously the rules of it being a 'walking trail' only aren't holding up.

We'll see how these 'advanced' trails turn out.

Peace,

Justin

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
As a hiker I have been forced off the Batona trail by mountain bikers. Someone else complained, but when they met me in the Batsto parking lot they gave me a hard time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not always easy to know when the Batona is foot traffic only. I always drove into the Martha area the back way which is now the Batona Trail. I tried driving it again a few years back and realized that they must not want vehicle traffic, but it did not say that.

Also, it seems to me if they send a machine into the woods to dig a fire break, a bike should be able to use it.Those breaks go right through historical ruins such as Union Clay, and I have found one state marker completely tore from the ground by one. How can a bike do more damage than that?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JerseyJim said:
I thought you are'nt allowed to ride bikes on the Batona, I thought it was a hiking only trail?

Much of the Batona Trail is on roads that vehicles can travel on. Or I should say portions of it are.

Guy