New to the pine barrens...

MuddinMommy

Sep 24, 2009
Ortley Beach, NJ
Hi guys...Well, i just moved into the toms river area and am looking for new places to explore. I've always like going on all the weird nj trips growing up...but now that I'm a little older I've come to realize most of the stuff in there is just crap...

Lately I've been exploring the bamber area, trying to find Hollow field cemetery mostly at the moment...I think I might have a clue where to go now from studying all sorts of maps and reading some info on here...but we'll see on friday when i can go back out...

I'm trying to find some other interesting places in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions for any must see places? I've done a lot of camping and exploring in wharton already...time to find some new places...

And me and my husband are always look for people to go exploring with us (we're kind of alone in a new area) so if anyone's interested feel free to e-mail me (although our exploration time is limited with work and a 2 year old :)

Thanks for any advice
Candice:guinness:

Hello and good luck exploring.

My starting place for exploring was the Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey books by Henry Charlton Beck. You can buy them at Barnes & Noble or Borders, or can usually find older editions for cheap on ebay or similar sites.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Mike that the Beck books (forgotten towns, more forgotten towns, jersey genesis, and to a lesser extent, roads of home) are great books to get you exploring, more romantic than later publications. this forum will provide you with lots of information, sometimes too much if you want to be surprised, so use the search option with caution.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You can't beat Beck for New Jersey folklore, and Barbara Stull is worth reading as well, though I prefer Beck's approach via stories to her travelogue style.

It's also worth picking up a copy of John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens" if you can find it, for the big picture.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hi guys...Well, i just moved into the toms river area and am looking for new places to explore.

I'm trying to find some other interesting places in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions for any must see places? I've done a lot of camping and exploring in wharton already...time to find some new places...

Thanks for any advice
Candice:guinness:

Welcome neighbor. You might consider a trip to Chatsworth and a visit to Buzby's General Store. The owner, Marilyn Schmidt, has many good books to choose from describing places to explore. In a few weeks the cranberry harvest will begin and the one at Double Trouble SP is open to the public, dates should be posted soon. Another good spot is Whitesbog Village off RT 530. And a visit to Helen's in Warren's Grove for breakfast or lunch can't be beat. The Country Living Fair is coming up in October in Batsto and the Pine Barrens Jamboree is on 10/10 at Wells Mill CP. :jd:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The books already mentioned would all be on my must-have list. The only one I might add is Howard Boyd’s Field Guide to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. I find the introductory chapters on the history and industries of the pine barrens even as useful as the field guide sections.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have to agree with German, Howard Boyd's field Guide is a must. Also, 46'er gave some good advice on visiting Marilyn, she's got everything there, and she is tremendously pleasant and helpful. She's carrys some good CDs/albums there as also.

Jeff