New USGS 24k Legacy Topo Map

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting. 78 different people in one day is good traffic for something that is not widely known. Is one of your goals to make it more widely known and used?

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Checked again, and at the end of the 24 hour period there were 125 unique IP addresses and about 650MB of data transferred. That probably doesn't really represent 125 people however. Yes, I would like to create a useful site for more people, which is why I am concentrating on maps of a larger region. It seems to be working, because I see more visitors from the states that are covered by the 24k, 62k and Mid Atlantic LIDAR maps. Yesterday there was significant usage from people in Vermont, Virginia and Maryland, for example.

Reactions: bobpbx

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Just completed another big update to the 24k Legacy Topo, it now includes full coverage of Virgina and West Virginia plus partial coverage of Kentucky, Tennessee...

Appalachian Trail, Damascus Virginia
https://boydsmaps.com/#16.00/36.635889/-81.777504/legacy24k/0.00/0.00

Damascus is an interesting little town. Twice I've "biked" like 17mi barely having to peddle!
I look at maps south of there in TN virtually checking out property. You are starting to dip into the area :)

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If you're interested in statistics, here's as breakdown of the quadrangle dates. I have not researched it carefully, but believe these are the original publication dates and it's possible that some of them were subsequently revised with new features. The whole map contains 5,667 quadrangles which have been processed into about 10 million map tiles with a size of around 85 gigabytes.

dates.png

Looking at the bigger picture, there are about 54,000 quadrangles in the "lower 48" states, so I've only covered about 10%. Have been working on this project for around 4 months now, although I've been working on the historic 62k maps at the same time. Continuing at the same rate, it would take about 3 more years to map the whole country. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just completed a big westward expansion of this map with 1,764 additional 24k quadrangles, bringing the total to 7,438 quads (around 13 million map tiles). This adds full coverage of Ohio plus expanded coverage of Michigan, Kentucky and Indiana. The Western border of the map is now near Bloomington, Indiana with Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan near the North edge. Here's an updated summary of the quadrangle dates.

v4-years.png

As usual, you might not be able to immediately access the new part of the map due to browser cache issues. Clearing the cache usually fixes this problem.

Last edited: