new yellow flower found

B

BarryC

I found this never-before-seen flower Tuesday, right here on our property. I went over to see how far along my cactus is. I wanted to check out the flower buds and all. Well right near the cactus I saw a yellow flower, that seemed to be the same shade of yellow as the cactus flowers that will be there later. The flower reminds me of Buttercups, only much bigger. I think it's well over an inch across. I haven't taken the time to try and look it up yet. Anyone know what this is?
It can't be much more than 4 inches tall, and the flower is on top.
Thanks,
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BarryC said:
I found this never-before-seen flower Tuesday, right here on our property. I went over to see how far along my cactus is. I wanted to check out the flower buds and all. Well right near the cactus I saw a yellow flower, that seemed to be the same shade of yellow as the cactus flowers that will be there later. The flower reminds me of Buttercups, only much bigger. I think it's well over an inch across. I haven't taken the time to try and look it up yet. Anyone know what this is?
Thanks,
Barry

Barry,

We need a link.

Guy

B

BarryC

There is no link. That's the way I talk. I said "this" flower- that's just the way I talk. I'm trying to give clues. If I had a digital camera I could post the picture right away. I was hoping some of the botanists here would see something familiar in the clues I've given.
Sure is pretty.
Thanks
TeeGate said:
Barry,

We need a link.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BarryC said:
There is no link. That's the way I talk. I said "this" flower- that's just the way I talk. I'm trying to give clues. If I had a digital camera I could post the picture right away. I was hoping some of the botanists here would see something familiar in the clues I've given.
Sure is pretty.
Thanks

Sorry about that.

Guy

B

BarryC

Hey, no problem. It's quite all right. Maybe today I'll try to see if I can find it in some of my books.

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Thanks,
Barry

Did it look like this?
http://www.mikebaker.com/plants/Helianthemum_canadense.html

It is helpful if you have more information on it---things like this:

how many petals? what shape are the petals--is there a tip on the petals, mucrinate, or is it notched etc?
are the leaves alternate, entire, or whorled?
are the leave entire or toothed, etc.
is the plant hairy? glaucous?
etc.

Otherwise it could be one of millions of plants. That's when using a dichotomous key like Newcomb's Field Guide to Wildflowers is useful.
As wonderful as Boyd's guide is for beginners, you really need to move on to other books if you want to do any serious identification. I think frostweed is in Boyd's book. There are also a number of flowers in the evening primrose family in bloom now too, and sundrops, all with yellow buttercup like flowers.

Renee