Night Ride

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just attempted a 48 mile route with my wife that we used to drive up to a few years ago.It leaves the highway just south of Atsion on 206,meanders 48 miles through Wharton without recrossing it's path or crossing or using a blacktop road.It always took approximately four hours of driving time not including stops.I had areas that were no go's in wet weather at least in my truck they were no go,s.I have not driven the route in several years because the road over Sleepy Creek was ripped up here 39.69425° N 74.68969° W and this was part of the route.I was informed on this forum that that particular spot was fixed two years ago,I had not been there in about that long and it had a new pipe in it then but was not covered up and monster trucks had been driving over the pipe..Well I started my route and made it to this part and it was fixed as i had been informed.I headed on to Constable Bridge of which made it to literally within shouting distance when stopped by a wash out here 39.66092° N 74.66034° W.Does anyone know how long this wash out has been here? With a jacked up truck you can do it but I would rip the bottom out of my XL7.I also encountered bad washout here
39.69192° N 74.68016° W that could be driven around but if you slipped and fell in you were toast.It appears at this spot that perhaps the Mullica flooded and backed up into Sleepy creek and came up out of the swamp and ripped a 5 ft deep hole in the road.I know of no storm that could have did this this year at either sleepy creek or down by constable bridge.Is this damage from last year? I had to turn around and head all the way back out to 206.It makes no sense to fix the sleepy creek wash out with the new pipe and then leave this canyon just north of Constable Bridge unless it is recent damage that hasn't been gotten to.This could be fixed much easier with a few truck loads of dirt whereas Sleepy creek would wash out any dirt without a new pipe this ditch I don't believe runs all the time anyway or if it does would take a much smaller pipe.

PS,Half of the ride it was dark out and I didn't see Bigfoot.Perhaps he was raiding weenie roasts at Fred Millers bogs,I did see someone camping with a fire going next to the trailer.Squatch was probably biding his time in the woods waiting for the weenies to get done.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Little late responding to this post...

but I just happened to pass through that road back in early Aug myself to see if that pipe had been fixed. It's been washed out since 2010, and has been in various states of cross-ability (with my cycle) due to people piling stuff and dirt up there. I was surprised myself to see that the trench north of Constable bridge still hadn't been fixed (that one was from Irene) but the pipe had been covered back up. I stopped and poked around the fix for a bit, and your right. There's nothing to break the water from hitting the dirt piled at the end of the pipe, and the pipe actually looked like it still had the holes punched through it when I looked into it. Cheap fix I guess for times without cash, but I don't think it will hold up for too long. That creek has a decent current even after moderate rain. Still happy it's finally back together though.

The sugar sand on that road is some of the deepest I've found in the pines. That road and Raritan Ave around Sandy Causeway seems to be the deepest. After a couple runs of the heavy vehicles through there the ruts get really deep.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Kevin, have you ever been to Wescoat Bogs? That road that runs directly adjacent to and parallel to the bogs is the absolute trickiest to maneuver sugar sand I've ever encountered in the Pines. It is downright fluid. I can't think of anything that even compares.

At least not off the top of my head....hmmm......nope; nothing comes to mind like that patch.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Kevin, have you ever been to Wescoat Bogs? That road that runs directly adjacent to and parallel to the bogs is the absolute trickiest to maneuver sugar sand I've ever encountered in the Pines. It is downright fluid. I can't think of anything that even compares.

At least not off the top of my head....hmmm......nope; nothing comes to mind like that patch.
are you a civil war buff Bob?I like that signature file.It was prophetic:)

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com

Bob, you are talking about this road, correct? - http://binged.it/OlHwYd

That's what we were talking about above, with the pipe that has been fixed. Also talked about in this post here - http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/crossing-is-out-constable-bridge-road.6792/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes Kevin, but particularly further up the road towards 206 a few hundred yards or so. I didn't know you were discussing that area.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found that I do like learning about it Al. I am currently reading Grant's Memoirs. You can see the full, very phrophetic quote at the link below. See the paragraph entitled "Military College Superintendant".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tecumseh_Sherman
I have read both Grant's and Shermans memoirs,I liked Grant's much better,don't know if it was his writing style or what.He did a very good job and finished just before he died.
I like reading about the War itself and about the events leading up to the war but never got into the reconstruction period much.I feel it was a botched job handled badly by Johnson.The worst thing the South could have done at the end of the War was kill Lincoln,he was actually their best friend at that point now that the Union was preserved which was Lincolns main concern all along anyway.They may have won the war if they had killed him early on since He was one of the few with the perseverance
to see it through.