Nikon D4S DSLR

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hey all you need is $6500.00 and the New D4S body is yours!

The reminds me of the story of the chef and the photographer ;)

A group of artists are invited for dinner by a famous chef. In greeting the photographer, the chef comments "I love your photos, they’re wonderful, you must have a very expensive camera."

The photographer doesn’t reply and walks into the dining room.
After dinner the photographer approaches the chef and says "Dinner was sensational, very exquisite flavors, a true work of art, you must have a very sophisticated stove.”

Reactions: dogg57

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's nice, but I don't see anything I want there. A month ago I did a photo shoot of an opera in small theatre in NYC. About 400 shots in a short period of time, all handheld in stage lighting with me running around and climbing over seats to get the best shot. That's something I haven't done in many years and I was worried, but it turned out good. Used my Nikon D-80 and 50mm f1.8 Nikkor prime, must be at least 10 years old now.

We have several threads here about phones replacing cameras and I think they have for many purposes. I'd kind of forgotten what it was like to use a "real" camera, hear the shutter click and the mirror slap - it felt good. And I'm still very happy with my D-80 and I have the Sony XDCAM for when I want to shoot video. The only thing I wish the D-80 had is a full frame sensor, so I could see the entire field of view with my 18mm f2.8 Nikkor prime. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have the N80 and F6, both film slr's. Got the D70 soon after it came out, still have it but it was banged up after hitting the windshield in my son's accident, put a nice bullseye in the glass. Worked for a couple of years afterwards with something rattlin around inside, then quit. Just might get it repaired. Then bought the D200 when it came out, it is an OK camera, very noisy though. Put the D200 in storage and went with the D300 and here I'll stay. Does everything I need and a lot I don't. If I had to get another camera, it would be the D30os, just for the video feature. That D4s does have one amazing low light sensor though. Will probably be in the D400 when it is announced :D

Sorry I sold it. Went to a D200.Miss my D80

If you still have the glass, the D80's are still available used. Going for around $225 in EX+ condition.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Went to B&H in NYC recently with my friend who was looking for a DSLR. After looking over all the stuff there, I felt the best deal was a used D-80. They have a bundle that includes a typical consumer type zoom lens for a really attractive price.

I got an iPhone 5s recently and have only played briefly with the camera features, but the panorama mode is just amazing. You hold the phone in portrait mode and just slowly pan it, following the guidelines on the screen. It instantly stitches the pano together - see: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2038527691/editorial-why-i-cant-stop-taking-iphone-panoramas

I have a big trip coming up and don't want to carry heavy cameras and lenses, so I'll be depending on the iPhone. We'll see how that works out. :)